MOHs

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 22 replies
  • 22 subscribers

Should I consider any other surgery except MOHs for removal of BCC on the nose?

I can have it excised without grafting in the next 2 weeks.

The nearest MOHs surgeon is around 1hr drive, I am having a private consultation with him soon over the phone and am willing to pay to have it performed quickly.

Another problem is covid, is this surgery being performed? if not could the delay go on for many months? as this will leave people living under difficult circumstances and travelling there under these circumstances when my husband is being shielded will be very difficult.

This is a very worrying time and after reading about surgery for facial BCC I would have thought the surgeon would have mentioned MOHs as being the gold standard but he didn't. 

Has anyone had BCC excised from nose with no grafting? the width he will take will be 11mm, if so what was the result?

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Hi Loridor, Hope treatment is progressing smoothly and I guess your sutures will have been removed now and your healing nicely.

Unfortunately for me the dermatologist in Leeds could not provide me with a date for at least a month so I am panicking a little.....all due to covid, private MOHs surgery has been stopped and i  was informed they do not know when it will recommence. 

The area I live in does not offer MOHs the nearest place is Newcastle which I read had a 30 week wait on the NHS prior to covid.....so this is not an option.

Hopefully I will get some good news soon.

Take care Kay 

• Hi Poolie123

I’m having Moh’s surgery, carried out privately, in Manchester tomorrow. It will be 2 weeks since I had my consultation.

The NHS consultant wouldn’t even refer me for Moh’s & as I felt my BCC was changing quickly I didn’t want to wait. The wait for normal surgery was at 12 weeks. 

Hope you hear something soon! 

• FormerMember

Hello again.  Thank you for asking about my progress which is going so well.  Sutures have been out for a week and putting Vaseline on is really helping with any scarring.  I was glad to be rid of the bandage which was in an awkward spot. The pulling of that was way worse than the incision.  

I am so sorry to hear about your frustrations in getting your procedure done.  Does this mean the private dermatologist can no longer do this either at this time?  Waiting sure doesn't help with the anxiety, but I know people who have waited months by choice and the outcome is still great.  My DH refused to have his checked for the longest time but all was well even with the wait of 4 months.

I am praying you hear about a date soon so your anxiety lessens.  It's worse than the procedure itself which, for me, was very easy.

Take care and let us know when you hear, or any time you would like to vent.  I am here for you.

L

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Doglover07

Hi Doglover07.  I am thinking about you as you mentioned your Mohs was being done today.  I am sure you will be very pleased with this procedure.  I hope all went well and you are on the road to  recovery.  Please give us an update when you feel up to it.

Be well!

• Hi loridor_46. Thank you! Yes I had Mohs yesterday, had to be at clinic for 9am & first surgery was completed by 9:30 then just the wait in a private room for the results. I had to have second round as a few cells were deep in the centre, possibly pushed down from the biopsy. Got the all clear that time & a straight repair, I was told it could be possibly forehead flap at consultation so was really pleased! I was all done by 1pm. 

Yes the anaesthetic certainly makes your eyes water but otherwise a weird experience sensation wise rather than painful. Only pain was when the anaesthetic wore off but paracetamol soon had that under control.

Stitches out next Monday so I’ll see the results then. The nurse did ask if I wanted to see the photos but recommended I wait a few days first! 

• Quick update. Took the dressing off today & stitches almost the full length of the nose, but not looking too bad for just 48 hours healing. I sent a photo to the clinic & they just phoned to say how pleased they were with how it is looking. 
    No painkillers needed for over 24 hours now. 

• FormerMember

Great to hear your news and all is going well. I decided to look elsewhere for surgery....feel I cannot wait as the waiting lists are growing and if a second wave arrives they will just increase further. I am now going to London next week for a consultation with a dermatologist and hopefully my surgery will soon follow.  I cannot believe how difficult it is to access MOHs surgery both privately and on the NHS especially in some areas of the country. 

• FormerMember

Oh, Poolie123, I am so sorry to hear your first consultation didn't work out for you and you have to start the process over again.  How far do you have to travel to London?  

You must be so frustrated by this time.  I know how the anxiety about  this can be.  I pray this will be the one that happens for you and very quickly.  I will be waiting to hear how the consultation goes next week. 

Thinking you you!

L

• FormerMember

Great news DogLover.  Isn't it the best feeling to get that compression dressing off.   Hope all continues to go well for you.

Take care!

L

• FormerMember

Hi, Poolie.  Just checking in to see how your consultation in London went.  I hope you finally have an answer as when your surgery will happen..  I am thinking of you and hope all is well.

L