Efudix side effects

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 7 replies
  • 24 subscribers

Hi, I've recently been diagnosed with a superficial bcc above my lip following a biopsy. They are treating it twice daily with efudix for 6 weeks. I'm 2.5 weeks in and its reacting well as in its sore and red.  Prior to this I was using the cream once a day for 6 weeks on an AK on my arm. Since weekend, I've been feeling so tired, headaches, nausea. Could  these be side effects of the cream even though I'm using it on such small spots?  Many thanks for any advice. 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hello JoJo

I used Aldara cream (I believe it is similar) for 4.5 months last year.  My side affects were more visible but it did say on the official leaflet that one of the side effects was flu like symptoms.  I am no doctor but it sounds as though it could be the cream but maybe check with your doctor or consultant?

When I was going through my treatment, I tried to really look after myself (I ate well, did yoga, avoided charging around, got lots of sleep etc.) in an endeavour to avoid those flu like side effects.  It seemed to work.

Hoping you feel better soon.

Rebecca x

• Hi and welcome to the online community

You've mentioned that you've been feeling unwell since the weekend and you were wondering if this is a side effect of using Efudix. 

You should have been given a patient information leaflet about this cream which tells you how to use it and what side effects you might get. If you haven't got one then clicking on the link I've created will take you to the information.

As you will see it says to tell your doctor IMMEDIATELY if you experience the side effects listed which includes "feeling generally unwell". In view of this I would suggest that you make an appointment to see the doctor who is treating you today.

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to latchbrook

thank you so much for replying and posting the link to the medicine information leaflet, I'd mislaid my copy. I've rang for a Drs appointment. xx

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Thanks so much for replying Rebecca. I'd been thinking that as I was only spot treating a couple of areas that I wouldn't get side effects other than the usual redness, erosion etc. It makes sense to just get checked though.  Good advice re looking after yourself. Thank you x

• Hi

I was wondering how you got on at the doctors and if you're feeling better now?

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to latchbrook

Hi, Dr said the Bcc was responding really well to the cream, she didn't think how I was going was a side effect of it though, and more likely to be a nasty bug/virus that is going around. I do actually feel much better now though so I guess it was a virus. She advised me to go back if the symptoms were ongoing though.  So I'm perservering with the cream! 3 more weeks to go! Thanks so much for messaging xx

• This thread is being marked for retention by the moderator, as some members are still finding this useful.