Camouflage Makeup for Skin Graft

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 27 replies
  • 24 subscribers

I had MOHS followed by plastic surgery for bcc on my nose in Feb this year.  The plastic surgeon did a large skin graft (skin taken from my neck) on my nose.  

I am at the stage where I really want to put camouflage makeup on my skin graft, but, after having a consultation with a Camouflage expert, I felt the makeup Veil (followed by a press powder0 actually looked worse on the graft than the graft itself (as it looked really cakey and thick!).

The question is:  can anyone suggest any makeup which works to hide their skin graft?  I put a layer of Kelo-cote silicon gel to keep the graft soft, then a layer of sun tan lotion over the top (after the silicon gel drys).  I'm after a foundation which I can easily apply and doesn't cake.

I don't normally wear a lot of makeup, so the more natural the better.

Suggestions/tips  really appreciated 

• Hi !

After my surgery was healed enough I found that 

Clinique beyond perfecting which is a foundation & concealer was just right for my forehead flap scar.

If yould get to department store they would happily give you

a sample or a demonstration.

Good luck ?

Ro

September 2018

Just been diagnosed with melanoma after biopsy on eyebrow, waiting for results of CT done 3 weeks ago,seems a long wait. At next appointment I have to say if I want to have the sentinel biopsy, I'm not sure because of the side effects also I'm 78 years old if that makes any difference, a general anaesthetic is more of a worry in elderly patients.
    Update : April 2020
    Did not have sentinel biopsy, just WLE & an adjustment after 6 months as I was looking lobsided, didn't help much as had lost an eyebrow, if I was young I might mind a bit more but I'll be 80 next month & have to accept this ageing face isn't what I recognise anyway.
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember

I’m in Canada and I have found that Pur Minerals is the best for my skin flap.  It’s a light makeup foundation powder.  I’ve tried several foundations without success.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to RoC

Thank you Ro for your reply.  I will have a look at your recommendation and ask for samples.  x

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Thank you .  It's a nightmare trying to find a foundation - wished there was a list on the internet of suitable foundations for particular skin issues, post surgery e.g. flaps/skin grafts ect.  I'll have a look to see if the UK seels Pur Minerals xxx

• FormerMember

Hello, I had a paramedian forehead flap a year ago to rebuild the tip of my nose after BCC. When the surgeon was happy I went and chatted to Clinique in a local store as I have lots of allergies. They colour matched and showed me how to use their camouflage make up and I have been happy with it ever since. Via my local dermatology dept I have also accessed an NHS camouflage nurse who showed me dermablend. There are other types available eg veil but that was the only one that was compatible with my allergies. I also enquired via the organisation Changing Faces who agreed that my allergies precluded all but the two I have found. 

Hope you find this helpful, and I hope you find something you can use. 

• FormerMember

Hope you can find it.  It’s perfect coverage and is very light. Plus it has spf but only 15.

• FormerMember

Hi all

I've just popped in on this discussion to ask if you are aware of Boots make up advisers.

They have been specially trained by Macmillans and Boots on how to look good after cancer treatment.

Have a look at the link above and read more about it and find out if there is branch near to you that you could visit for advice.

Ian

My fellow males might find it interesting also!

By clicking on the green text above will open up a new page for you

• FormerMember

Thank you, I will go on the link and see if our local Boots has a rep.

• FormerMember

Hi Jean,

Thank you.  How do you cope recovering wtih suntan lotion during the day?  I checked with Veil and their camouflatge makeup is also SPF 15 and that causes a problem, as they said you have to apply the sunscreen underneath the makeup  - difficult if you have to try and take it off and reapply every 2 hrs during the day when outside :( .

• FormerMember

Hi Mooomm, I will pop to a Clinique stand...... I too suffer from skin reactions to everything as I has Roascea.  I've seen Dermablend on the internet and I think Boots sell it.  What do you do about reapplying sunscreen during the day please?  do you wipe off the make upover the area and reapply after putting on the sunscreen?