Camouflage Makeup for Skin Graft

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 27 replies
  • 23 subscribers

I had MOHS followed by plastic surgery for bcc on my nose in Feb this year.  The plastic surgeon did a large skin graft (skin taken from my neck) on my nose.  

I am at the stage where I really want to put camouflage makeup on my skin graft, but, after having a consultation with a Camouflage expert, I felt the makeup Veil (followed by a press powder0 actually looked worse on the graft than the graft itself (as it looked really cakey and thick!).

The question is:  can anyone suggest any makeup which works to hide their skin graft?  I put a layer of Kelo-cote silicon gel to keep the graft soft, then a layer of sun tan lotion over the top (after the silicon gel drys).  I'm after a foundation which I can easily apply and doesn't cake.

I don't normally wear a lot of makeup, so the more natural the better.

Suggestions/tips  really appreciated 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Hello Alpaca01, 

I use  a factor 50 under the makeup, stay out of the sun especially between 11am -3 pm , wear a wide brimmed sunproof  hat , and have bought a couple of light proof parasols. I have been very sunsensitive for years. 

You are right , trying to reapply sunscreen removes makeup, so it’s redo it all or cover up another way and/or stay out of the sun. Remember use powder to set the make up , it helps it last all day and waterproofs it too. 

Hope that’s some help. 

• FormerMember

Thanks for your tips Mooomm xxxx

• FormerMember

I’m in Canada and so far our weather has been cold.  My makeup has  spf of 15 that has been ok up to now.  I’m heading to Cuba for vacation.  I have a 110 for my face, a wide brimmed hat and I am going to put a plaster over my nose during the day.  I don’t want the scars turning brown.  I’m retired so once the hot weather arrives I’ll just apply sunscreen during the day.  I don’t sit in the sun but I do spend time outside around the pool.  

• FormerMember

The Pur mineral in a powder that’s why I like it.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Have you tried dermsflage available on dermaflage.

Com  or on  smazon

• FormerMember

No.....first I put on 110 sunscreen then I use pur minerals.  It a powdered makeup.  I like it because it’s light.  I don’t like the feel of heavy makeup.  It’s 3 months since my surgery and most people don’t notice it.

• FormerMember

Hello, Macmillan have just sent your post on too me.  I seen one dermatologist in the uk with a special interest in all sorts of skin problems associated with sun sensitivity. He was a great believer in using barriers as well as frequently reapplied sunscreen. Make sure your hat does not let sun through. Amazon sell hats here that are SPF rated. I was warned that straws are not good. 

Also via Amazon I purchased two ( different coloured) parasols that are very prettily embroidered but have black light proof linings. One also claims to be rain proof although I have not tried it. They are telescopic. 

Have a good holiday. 

• Hi, Could you tell me what factor 110 cream is called please? 

Many thanks, Linda

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Barbados Girl 33

Hello, Here in the uk I have only seen up to SPF 50+ with a separate UVA rating which varies up to Very high protection. Sorry. 

• Yes, I use a 50 plus factor, just wondering if I could get something stronger.. Linda