Anyone else had to have a second op?

• 18 replies
  • 24 subscribers

I'm really panicking ás my second op draws near. I had a bcc removed in Feb and bilobal flap repair which has healed really well and scars not too bad. Unfortunately, they didn't get it all out and I have to go back soon (hopefully) for a second op and skin graft. Doc said that this time it won't be cosmetically as good but it has to be done as the cancer is aggressive and will grow. He said it was only a few cells left behind. It's been a horrible time waiting, hoping and yet dreading the call, and I'm really scared that I'll have a badly misshapen nose and people will start. Anybody else had similar and can hopefully reassure me that I won't look like Voldemort! 

• Sorry Woodsider I replied to myself  I'm not very tech savvy.

How's your nose feeling?

• Hi Woodsider Just wondering how you were feeling after your second operation. These damn basal cells are such a nuisance to us.  I was discharged yesterday from my 2, the process started end of November.  I feel today as bad as I did at the very beginning as feel alone now.  I felt throughout my Consultant was a phone call away but now, he is, but he says he has done his job, things are fine and get on with my life as normal.  Think all the emotions of the last 6 months have caught up with me.  I will feel good about everything, I hope soon.  Good Luck with your recovery and keep in touch, we are on this journey together xx

• Hi Harlyn

I can totally understand how you feel about not seeing your consultant.

I think they become our security.

Mine was done via the NHS and I think I'll get a two year follow up but if not I've decided I'm going to go private for a once a year check up. I'm dreading being discharged because like you I'll feel alone.

I have been told though, that those feelings gradually go away in time.

I think when we know we are still having checkups we feel safe 

• Im glad you understand I think I am going crazy I have been discharged and I still feel unsure.  He said his job is done and I am cured of my basal cell cancers. Think it may be because I went through Bupa.  I feel as emotional as I did when I first started this journey and I really should be elated it is all over.  Hope you are right and they go away.  Where do you live Puckettyboo xx

• I'm in South East kent.

My treatment has been in Ashford by a wonderful surgeon.

I think how you're feeling is perfectly understandable and I know I'll feel the same.

• Nearly a week after the op now so feeling a bit more normal - until I spot myself in a mirror or accidentally touch my poor nose! Have an appointment on Monday for a graft check and presuming they'll take the stitches out then. More gruesome sights to get used to! All the best to you both with coming to terms with your discharges. 

• Hi Woodsider nice to hear from you and you survived the treatment.  You had skin graft then were you awake for it.  My last one was a graft and the donor site healed brilliantly, the graft site a lot slower.  When I had stitches out don't think I was prepared for how it looked as I had dressing stitched to it plus a scourer type thing and the Nurse had a job getting stitches out.  Don't worry if you have a big scab I did and was told to vaseline it and once that was off it started to heal ok.  It is 3 months now and my friends all say it it doing fine, as does Consultant. I just wished he hadn't discharged me and seen me in 6 months time, but he said he had done his job and that was it.  I feel scared to be ob my own at an early stage.  Good luck and let us know how you go on next week xx

• Glad you're feeling a bit better now. 

You'll probably feel better still once you've seen the consultant again. It's a long old hill to climb isn't it?

It makes me so angry when people refer to these things as " just skin cancer" 

Please let us know how you get on with your next visit