Joining the Aldara group - facial BCC

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 35 replies
  • 24 subscribers

Hi, 

I'm joining the Aldara group :) To my horror I have been recently diagnosed with a BCC (small nodular) on my face (nose) and I've chosen the Aldara cream hoping that it will work given the small size of the BCC (3 mm).  I think it's a good non surgical option. I'm scared of surgery and of being left disfigured, so I chose Aldara as it seems to be best compared to  the other non surgical options (freezing and PDT).  I felt that, even if it will not work or the effect will be incomplete, it can be a good adjunctive therapy before surgery, as at least it will shrink it and activate the immune system so no abnormal cells are left behind. 

I am due to start on it at the end of the week and will update the progress/or the lack of it here. 

I have few questions for you guys, those who managed to complete the 6 weeks/ or undergoing treatment now:

-  Is there anyone that had more positive experiences with Aldara? Is this treatment always causing horrible side effects or it can be manageable depending on the surface of skin affected ? If only a small area is treated, would the redness/scabs extend to the whole nose? 

- If the area affected is the face, and you had side effects on the moderate severe spectrum (like scabs/crusts on face, not talking about the flu like symptoms),  how you managed around work ( was off work necessary at times  if being in a front line job ?) 

- Is the original lesion completely off at the end of treatment, if it worked - with new skin underneath a scab? Or it's still there as a flattened mark? In the short - medium term, how you have found the treatment?

- How can you find for sure if the treatment worked? Is it just on clinical aspect/clearance and dermatoscopic aspect?

- Has anyone heard about OCT (Optical coherence tomography) for skin being done in UK, and if so, where?  I know it's there somewhere but I cannot find more, best provider and how much it costs. I feel there should be more information about it on relevant websites like bad/pals and nhs, and it's a shame there isn't much about it (talking about PATIENT OPTIONS AND ACCESS TO TREATMENT)...This is a non invasive diagnostic tool saving your skin of biopsy /surgery. It can be extremely helpful before and after treatment, showing how deep a lesion is and if it was completely cured after. 

-  Has anyone heard about any other new treatments offered by NHS?  On the alternative treatment side, has anyone tried any Frankincense or Tea tree essential oil with any benefit at all ? 

Thank you for having me in the group and thanks in advance for any answers. Take care, speak soon.

SG X

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to bbecca14

Hi Becca,

Well done so far. You reacted to the treatment, this is all that matters. Not everyone has to have severe reactions, some people have more BCC's and treat them in the same time, of course their reactions are more extensive and severe. I heard others they only had reactions mid treatment. 

I am fine day 2, the only local reaction is itching of the nose, and mild, slightly noticeable redness of the bcc, no other side effects. I'm going to work for as long as I don't have systemic side effects with fatigue and flu -like. 

I am going to update these reactions in my profile to document and track them there like in a journal...I will also let you know how  do when I have a significant reaction. 

Best wishes, warm regards - good luck with the Derm appointment...

Shanta x

• Hi Shanta,

How are you doing in this journey?  Your last post on your profile didn't sound real encouraging.

I saw my derm today and it wasn't too encouraging.  Although I have had some reaction she doesn't think I have had enough of a reaction to eradicate the basal cell.  She wants me to continue the Aldara for the next 10 days with no break and if nothing more happens than I go for the Mohs on Jan. 14.  I still have had no systemic effects.  Week one I had redness, week two some crustiness, this week some light scabbing....no weeping, oozing or soreness which is want they want to see...she said they like to see the skin destroyed.

Oh well, at least I tried. 

Becky

• FormerMember

Hi Becky, 

I am afraid I don't have any response. No local response at all. At least, you have shown a reaction. I only  noticed extreme fatigue and some muscle pains, chest pain - musculoskeletal.. and the feeling of swollen head (subjective, as I could not feel any lymph nodes), also a red sore throat at the beginning (that has settled in one day). 

I will see the consultant tomorrow :( 

My understanding is that some people do not have the Tau receptors in their skin for this medication to work, and I may be one of them.  But it is rare! For most, Aldara is excellent :( Wish I had more info about this...

I initially thought it will work 100 % for me as I'm healthy and the BCC small, I expected 100 % clearance :( It's like I'm using a placebo - dissapointed .

At least tried, perhaps it matters at cellular level. 

Shanta 

x

• Shanta,

It's strange that this doesn't seem to be working for either of us.  My doctor acted a bit puzzled as to why it wasn't working for me. I really expected it to work since it was diagnosed superficial basal cell via a shave biopsy and Aldera works best on this type of basal cell. She did make mention that Aldera works better on other parts of the body where the skin is thinner.

I will be interested to hear your consultant's take on it.

Becky

• FormerMember

Please give it time Becky, you have the best chance of response, perhaps you are one of the mid treatment responders. So do what the Consultant says, give it a chance to work...it works well in superficial ones. It already started to work for you...

It is strange that it does not work as intensely as we expected. I googled possible causes, I will ask my consultant tomorrow. It is rare to not respond, it must be to do with lack of skin receptors to Aldara. Also stress is listed as a factor in a research, and type of immune response...

Best wishes, speak soon

Shanta

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

I think it’s complicated. My local reaction was extreme on one of mine (amongst the most extreme my consultant had seen - it was horrific) but on the other site the reaction was mild, just a bit of itching and a small scab. I presumably have the same receptors in both sites. However my go said that breast tissue is far more prone to inflammation which may be another factor - apparently the fat cells there are different from elsewhere in the body. Wait and see till the end. My reaction increased and increased - peaked at week 5 when I had to stop using in on my breath though I continued on my foot. 

• FormerMember

Hi, 

My consultant said to carry on with the treatment, although there is no reaction so far. Aldara is safe and proved, having been on the market for so long. 

So I will carry on using it...

• FormerMember

Thank you for the encouragement Pontymel.. I was wondering if you were happy with the Aldara in the end, has it cleared them ?

x

• FormerMember

I don’t see the consultant for another 4 weeks. My lesion on my boob has healed over, still a large patch of very discoloured skin (4 and a half weeks after stopping using it). However I think it’s getting paler, but very slowly. The one on my foot which had much less reaction has also healed, just a small scab left. Fingers crossed when it’s all healed I will get the all clear. 

• FormerMember

Hooray! I'm so happy to hear! I'm sure you'll be given all clear x