Anyone taking Vitamin B3?

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 9 replies
  • 24 subscribers

Hi, I'm new to the forum and was hoping to get some advice.  I've been reading a lot about the clinical studies with Vitamin B3 and how it might be able to reduce skin cancer recurrence rates.  Wondering if anyone here has read something similar and if Vitamin B3 is a common supplement to take?

• Hi  and welcome to the online community

Could you provide a link please to the clinical study you've been reading as it would be interesting to see what it says.

Thanks x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to latchbrook

Sure, here's the study: www.nejm.org/.../nejmoa1506197

• Thank you. It made interesting reading.

I've found reference to the same trial on the Australian Cancer Council's website. However the professor who led the trial said that using this "to prevent skin cancer is a a high dose treatment rather than a supplement.....and is only for people with a defined medical condition - multiple skin cancers". She goes on to say that before taking it you should consult your dermatologist to check that it is suitable for you and that "it's not suitable for the general population as we do not have any evidence that it would be beneficial in a lower risk setting".

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to latchbrook

@Latchbrook, I appreciate your thoughts, but somehow read it quite differently.  

Nicatinamide has everything going for it:

-minimal if any side effects ("Nicotinamide has been used at pharmacologic doses (up to 3 g daily) over many years with minimal side effects")

-proven Phase III efficacy

-inexpensive

The conclusion of the study below summarizes it nicely:

"In conclusion, among high-risk patients, nicotinamide was associated with a lower rate of new nonmelanoma skin cancers than was placebo and had an acceptable safety profile. Nicotinamide is widely accessible as an inexpensive over-the-counter vitamin supplement and presents a new opportunity for the chemoprevention of nonmelanoma skin cancers that is readily translatable into clinical practice."

I guess I can't figure out why Vitamin B3 isn't the standard of care today?  Curious to hear your perspectives!

• Morning  

I'm not medically trained so don't know why various lines of research aren't followed up. 

I didn't 'read' the report differently from you but quoted what Professor Damian said in her report. I've created a link to the website and you'll see what she said under the heading of Who Can Use Nicotinamide To Prevent Skin Cancer.

It looks like they're continuing their research into this supplement so it'll be interesting to see if anything comes of it.

You may also be interested in what Cancer Research UK has to say about taking vitamin B3 too.

Best wishes

Community Champion Badge

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hi, I know this is a relatively old thread, but I wondered if you ever started taking the Vit B3?

I just bought some for myself and thought I may give it a try, based on the research that you and I both read. 

I am interested to know if anyone on here has had their dermatologist recommend this to them?

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Hello jCandace

when I was diagnosed with having pre cancerous cells in my left cheek, my boyfriend did an awful lot of research into vitamins and natural remedies. After a lot of reading, he discovered that Vit B3 and turmeric are recommended and proven to reduce risks. 

I had 4.5 months of using Aldara cream which burnt my face and was in a permanent state of being red sore scabby and weeping. Within a couple of weeks my skin had healed, amazingly so. I don’t know if it was the B3, the carrot juice, or the healthy diet I stuck to for that period of time. 

My consultant was happy for me to take these vitamins B3 and also to continue taking them. I’m no doctor but I don’t think it will hurt. 

Rebecca x

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

Thank You for sharing your experience Rebecca, much appreciated! I purchased some B3 last night and already use Turmeric for its other health benefits!

• This thread is being marked for retention by the moderator, as some members are still finding this useful.