Surgery waiting times

• 2 replies
  • 34 subscribers

In March I went to my GP with a lump on my scalp and rough skin in my eyebrow. After a quick look and reviewing my history of having 2 BCCs removed from my face and throat nearly 20 years ago he announced “that is cancer” about my scalp and “that is a precancerous lesion over your eye”.

He referred me to a dermatologist at the local hospital who also said “yes that’s cancer” and said that I would be put on the list for surgery - that the waiting list was 5-6 months. She also gave me some chemotherapy cream for my eyebrow.

Apart from a letter from the consultant saying that I was on the waiting list, I heard nothing so went to the GP in July - he was surprised that I hadn’t had surgery. A couple of weeks later I called at the GPs surgery and saw the secretary who called the consultant’s office to check on progress - she was told that 6 months seemed about right to wait.

i phoned the “waiting list” asking about waiting times and was told that 12 months is about what to expect as they are very busy with more urgent cases. I returned to the GPs secretary with this news who phoned and was told that I could go on the cancellation list and maybe the doctor should write an “expedite letter” - it might not do any good but there was a chance !

All this time waiting is very stressful (I know a BCC is not life threatening but it is still scary) and I’m getting headaches and paranoia about other small lumps and rough patches on my scalp (probably nothing - but it plays on your mind !)

I’m in Staffordshire - is 12 months waiting time reasonable? … what if they turn round and say the wait is now 18 months ? … can I do anything ?

• Total postcode lottery. 
    I have just been diagnosed with a BCC on my back. I attended an appointment to get signed off for a SSC after surgery and radiotherapy and was given a final full body check, lymph nodes etc.

I have surgery next Friday 10 days after diagnosis. I cannot  believe it was so quick . I was informed by my oncologist it would be up to 18 week wait so the phone call inviting me for surgery came as a shock. I was given options for NHS and private hospitals, all within two weeks. 
    I live in Nottingham. I feel so lucky,  reading of some waiting times in this forum. 

• MickMayor Where abouts in staffordshire are you.  I had 2 removed a Nuffield in Derby as waiting lists were long and that was 2 years ago.  They dont seem to take these bcc's seriously enough as they are not life threatening but they need dealing with.  The times people report they are waiting on this site is scary.  Think you need to keep ringing and making a nuisance of yourself to get the attention you need.