Newby - squamous on nose

• 4 replies
  • 35 subscribers

Hi everyone, I’m new to the group. I’ve recently been diagnosed with actinic keratosis and squamous on my nose. 6 weeks ago I had surgery by a plastic surgeon (too long waiting list for MOHs) with a large excision and skin graft over most of my nose. Once I was discharged by wounds nurse (two weeks in) I’ve felt a bit on my own with not really knowing if everything’s going as it should. It is quite a shock once the dressing comes off and there seems to be a lack of information about how the healing process progresses. I’m finally seeing the surgeon tomorrow for six week follow up so hoping to be reassured then. If anyone on here has been through a similar experience I’d be grateful to hear from you. TIA

• Hi  and a very warm welcome to the online community which I hope you'll find is both an informative and supportive place to be.

How did your consultation with the surgeon go? Hopefully you're feeling more reassured now.

I haven't had the type of surgery that you've had but I noticed that your post hadn't had any replies yet. Responding to you will 'bump' it back to the top of the discussion list where it'll be easier for other group members to see.

While you're waiting for replies, it would be great if you could put something about your diagnosis and treatment to date into your profile as it really helps others when replying to you and also when looking for someone on a similar pathway. It also means that you don't have to keep repeating yourself. To do this click on your username and then select 'Profile'. You can amend it at any time and if you're not sure what to write you can take a look at mine by clicking on my username.

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• How did your follow up go. Let me know I and will try and help you xx

• Hi Harlyn 

I saw the surgical team yesterday and they confirmed that is was basal cell carcinoma and not squamous as originally suspected, which is good. Also they removed all of it so there’s no more treatment needed, again good news. As for the skin graft, she thought it was healing well although a bit bumpy and quite pale. She thought it would blend in over time a bit more. I have the option to book to see them again in 4 months if I’m not entirely happy with how it looks. Apparently there are some options to improve the look. I'm now looking for a good concealing foundation to st least camouflage the graft a bit so it’s not quite so obvious. With it being on my nose and covering a lot of it it’s hard not to be self conscious. 
    thank you for your response. 

• Hi latchbrook,

Thanks for your reply. I saw the surgical team yesterday and they confirmed that is was basal cell carcinoma and not squamous as originally suspected, which is good. Also they removed all of it so there’s no more treatment needed, again good news. As for the skin graft, she thought it was healing well although a bit bumpy and quite pale. She thought it would blend in over time a bit more. I have the option to book to see them again in 4 months if I’m not entirely happy with how it looks. Apparently there are some options to improve the look. I'm now looking for a good concealing foundation to st least camouflage the graft a bit so it’s not quite so obvious. With it being on my nose and covering a lot of it it’s hard not to be self conscious. 
    I will put something in my profile as you suggest. Thank you.