BCC on Upper Lip

• 2 replies
  • 36 subscribers

Hi all

My GP referred me to my local hospital dermatology department at the beginning of September as he suspected I may have a BCC.  When I rang the NHS to get some idea of waiting time I was told "up to 63 weeks for routine dermatology appointments". Yikes!

I decided to arrange a private consultation which I had at the start of October. The consultant confirmed I have a BCC but said it couldn't be treated at that clinic as it needs surgery (presumably Mohs now I've done some research).

I have now just received a consultation appointment from the NHS (8 weeks not 63). I'm assuming the private consultant's letter to my GP may have had some effect in speeding the appointment along.

Does anyone know how long I might have to wait from consultation to treatment on the NHS these days?  I can't decide whether to investigate private Mohs surgery. I just want the thing off my face as quickly as possible now I know what it is.

By the way - when did these things stop being called rodent ulcers? That was a much less stress-inducing term for a lesion that's classed as needing 'routine' treatment. BCCs may not be a worrying type of cancer but it doesn't feel like that when it's your face the thing is growing on!

• Hi  and a very warm welcome to the online community which I hope you'll find is both an informative and supportive place to be.

I'm sorry to read that you've just been diagnosed with a basal cell carcinoma (BCC). My wait to have one removed was about 3 weeks a few years ago but I don't have any experience of more recent wait times. However, you might want to take a look/join in with this recent thread which is discussing current wait times.

The name of BCCs hasn't changed, it's just that they were commonly known as rodent ulcers.

It would be great if you could put something about your diagnosis into your profile as it really helps others when replying to you and also when looking for someone on a similar pathway. It also means that you don't have to keep repeating yourself. To do this click on your username and then select 'Profile'. You can amend it at any time and if you're not sure what to write you can take a look at mine by clicking on my username.

I hope you don't have too long to wait.

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• Hi

I had a basal cell removed from my nose 18 months ago.  It was a ten month wait for mohs and five months for excision.  This was in South east kent