Squamous Cell Carcinoma - my third diagnosis

• 15 replies
  • 33 subscribers

Hi all my name is Gordon and I have just had a diagnosis of SCC for the thitd time  - my first was in my left glotis then on my shoulder but this one is in my armpit and constanly bleeding. I am waiting for a head to toe CT scan (urgent takes 2 weeks !) to check if there is anymore anywhere else as my risk factor has shot up !

Yes I am worried, yes it is uncomfortable and constanly needing fresh dressings and yes it does get me very down and lots of thoughts about my own mortality. Even with the fantastic support of my wife it is a very lonely place and all sorts of thoughts and emotions hit me. I thought I cleared with Radiotherapy last time but it seems to want to keep at me. All I can say to anyone else, you are not alone and always think this can be beaten .. Thats me Gordon

• Hi Gordon Sorry to read your story and this site is a brilliant place to unload your fears and worries.  I have a very understanding hubby like you have a wife, but to chat with people who have or are going through the same thing as you are is sometimes reassuring.  I have had 2 basal cell skin cancers removed from my face last year. I was told that having one you are more likely to get more so I have had 2 now and constantly looking at every new lump and bump and being paranoid about the sun too and making sure I have factor 50 slapped on everywhere.  I am 74 never been a sun worshipper, never been on a sunbed and never been abroad and always used sun protection, wo where did they come from.  Keep in touch with your journey and here for a chat whenever you feel down by it all 

• Thanks Harlyn, it seems it just goes on and on...waiting to a head to toe CT scan to check if it has spread .. will update when I have the scan

• Hi Gordon

Just to say hello and that this is a brilliant site to join as it's so supportive.

I have had a basal cell removed from my nose so very different to you,  but yes, it can be a very lonely place to be when you're in the thick of it.

People don't always understand how serious and frightening skin cancers can be.

Its perfectly normal to be worried so please keep in contact and share your concerns and let us know how you get on

• Hi Gordon, you got this.  I am on my 8th diagnosis of SCC and they keep coming but the guys who look after me are brilliant and they will not keep you waiting long.  Not been on the site for a long time as felt like odd man out as I keep getting them.  SCC dont spread fast so we have some breathing space.  The first diagnosis was the scariest and your mind goes into panic mode but we do have a wonderful NHS when we really need it.  Take care and give your wife a huge hug as she is probably very worried but trying to be strong for you.  Its good to be surrounded with people who love you at times like this

• Quick update, so it is inoperable and incurable ... not sure what to do now, I got a clot on my lung as well so dealing with that(daily injections) and the pain of the clots in my arm from the SCC ... anybody got any advice or knowledge ? Thanks

• Oh dear Gordon that is not good news.  Why is it inoperable abd incurable as I thought skin cancers were curable.  I feel so sorry for you as this is not the diagnosis you wanted. Mine were Basal cell cancers which ar not as bad as SCC but I still thought they were curable.  Here for you if you need to chat and sending you a get well hug x

• Hi Gordon

So sorry to hear your news.Did the Dr's give you any reason or a treatment plan?

• Thanks, so did I but if it is deep tissue and it is in a place where it is too risky i.e. they cannot get it out. thats life as they say

• Thanks I am now in pallative care ,,

• nothing yet, just been with Macmillan nurse and she is organising pain relief