Medications and links to skin cancer

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 12 replies
  • 36 subscribers

I have recurring skin cancers and have been recently researching some of the medications I am taking because I’ve been switched from propranolol to candesartan for my migraines. I have found quite a lot of worrying information regarding link with medications and skin cancer.
Source: ECRjournal.com
“The association between diuretics, in particular thiazides, and skin cancer is supported by the fact that they are photosensitisers, causing direct damage to DNA and chronic subclinical skin inflammation. However, photosensitivity is also a common reaction to many widely used drugs, such as antibiotics, non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs and statins, which are often used in the polypharmacy of hypertensive patients.29,30 Self-reported consumption of diuretics, including thiazides, was associated with an increased risk of basal cell carcinoma (BCC) in a nationwide US population-based cohort study”.
This is just some of the info I’ve found. I also didn’t realise how my cymbalata has increased the photosensitivity of my skin so much , but it all makes sense now , why in the past my skin seemed to turn red even in 5 mins of sun.
I’m now worried about taking my medications. I have had to speak to a pharmacist and there is a link.
Has anyone else been concerned about their medication and skin cancer? 

• Hi

I'm not personally aware of medication having a link to having skin cancer. I would certainly speak to your GP or dermatologist before you stop taking any medication.

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• yes I have been taking immune suppressant drugs since 2016 and just received the devastating news on Friday I have SCC due to my medication and only have months/year left! Absolutely gutted as  trusted the consultants who were treating my Rheumatoid Arthritis to treat my condition safely, it has spread right through my lymph nodes Disappointed

• I'm so sorry to read this  

It must have come as a tremendous shock, especially as SCC doesn't usually spread. Has your consultant discussed what sort of treatment you might be having?

You might want to look at joining the living with incurable cancer group where you can talk about anything with others who have an incurable diagnosis. They are a great bunch of characters.

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• Seeing Oncologist this Friday but still don't know where or what time, It was the ENT consultant who broke the news to me

• I've just realised that you're not a member of this group yet  . To join the group just click on the banner at the bottom of the page or the link on the right hand side, depending on the type of advice you're using. You can then start your own post.

It would be great if you could pop something about your diagnosis and treatment so far into your profile as it really helps others when replying to you and also when looking for someone on a similar pathway. It also means that you don't have to keep repeating yourself. To do this click on your username and then select 'Profile'. You can amend it at any time and if you're not sure what to write you can take a look at mine by clicking on my username.

Let me know how it goes on Friday

((hugs))

Community Champion Badge

• Hi starred

Yes I was aware that some thiazides can predispose people to skin cancer. I've since stopped them but like you I think the damage is done.

I've also read studies that show certain vitamin supplements can predispose to basal cell cancer. This is something I'm going to mention to my consultant when I see him.

It's so difficult to know what to do for the best isn't it?

• It was Immune Suppressants that have done it for me :(

• You must be devastated. I really Hope your oncologist visit offers you something positive.

We just have no idea what these medications we take could be predisposing us too do we?

And let's face it immunosupressants are lifesaver but obviously come with risks.

Please let us know how you get on with the oncologist 

• Unfortunately Oncology consultation has been moved another week so waiting longer Disappointed

• did it so have a look and see if it's ok and thank you for your help around this forum