Squamous carcinoma on shin.

• 10 replies
  • 35 subscribers

First timer here, small white spot on shin developed very quickly and finally had my fear confirmed it was in fact SCC. 
saw a plastic surgeon, 2 in fact , they both spoke of full depth skin graft. Fast forward to Monday 25th July and surgery.. no skin graft done but skin pulled tight enough to created the most horrible indentation on my leg. I know I should  be grateful it’s out ( still waiting to know if margins were clear) and it’s been less than a week but the scar is horrible, I can barely look at my leg..  had it been removed when I spotted it and hadn’t had to wait so long going through the process of derma, nurses, doctors, plastics, pre ops etc.. the lesion would have been removed when it was very very small. 

Do scar indentations get better?  I was also told by the surgeon there’s a chance I will get more.. I feel so down about it all.. I don’t want to be living in fear of this.. how do people get through this stage.... any tips? I’m not a vain person but I am struggling a bit with this. 

• Morning Tinky and welcome to the group which I am sure, like I did, you will find it to be your life line at the moment.  I have had 2 basal cell cancers removed from my face.  The scars were horrendous at the time, but now 2 or 3 months down the line they are getting much better and the scars are fading but I had skin flaps and a graft.  I am sure your scar will get much better than it is now in time.  When you have had stitches out and it is getting a bit better massage it a few times a day to put moisture back into your skin.  I used bio oil and the old style Nivea cream in the blue tin and the results from this were amazing.  I was discharged from my Consultant 2 weeks ago and in his letter to me he did tell me I would possibly get more.  Like you, I am worrying about this now.  I have decided I don't like the summer anymore as very scared going out in it.  I was never a sun worshipper before, yes I did sit in it but never sunbathed for hours and always used sun cream.  I now have to use factor 50 sun cream every day from March to November.  I have got into the habit now in my make up routine but it is very hard.  I, like you, am looking and watching any little skin blemish.  Mine were both very different, the one near the top of my nose right near my eye looked just as if my glasses had rubbed me, the other near my nostril and top lip looked a bit like a cold sore.  Reading peoples stories on here I think they all look different, so you can't be sure.  Good Luck and keep in touch, we are all in this journey together and can help one another.

• Morning tinny

Sorry to hear about your scc. It's always a shock and it takes time to get your head round it. People often don't understand the impact a skin cancer can have on us and can be dismissive of our worries.

I've just had a basal cell removed from the side of my nose which was initially misdiagnosed as being nothing to worry about almost three years ago.

It's been left yo heal by secondary intention so I've got quite a substantial wound on my nose which is slowly healing.

I hope this is of help to you but I was told that skin heals well and that scars fade. We just need to be patient. Also that we are much more aware of them than other people.

As Harlyn has suggested, once you're allowed to, massaging it with oil will help.

I too have been told I'll probably get more. I havnt got my head round that one yet but the surgeon said that I would be vigilant about checking my skin now and so any issue would be noticed early.

You'll find a lot of support on this group which will help you so feel free to ask anything that concerns you.

• Morning both, and THANKYOU for the reply’s. 
    I showed a couple of work colleagues my leg yesterday and their shock was very apparent. It’s not so much the scar that’s the issue, it’s the huge deformity now on my leg.. I just don’t see how that will change significantly as there has been so much tissue removal. My follow up is in 4 weeks so I guess I will have my answers then but in the meantime it will remain covered. I know it will improve, but I don’t see how you can replace what’s been taken away.  Maybe I am overreacting, and hopefully I will manage my emotions and somehow embrace the ‘new me’ I know people are going through so much more.. and maybe that’s where I will gather my strength eventually, it’s just all so new and I guess I am going through a process. THANKYOU again for the responses .. this is a great support network.. 

• Morning

You're not over reacting. How you're feeling is a natural reaction and like you said, is a process, and this process takes time.

Our bodies have an amazing ability to heal but this can be a slow process in fact I was told full healing can take up to a year. 

Obviously we'll be left with scars but they also fade.

It's a worrying and emotional journey and that's why this site is so good as we're all going through the same thing so can be a listening ear and offer support.

• You are definitely not over reacting at all Tinky.  As Puckettyboo has said a lot of people do not know the impact skin cancer has on you. When I was first diagnosed I thought I was being so mardy over a skin cancer, how wrong could I have been.  I rang Bupa skin cancer nurses as I was so tearful and they told me to go on the Macmillan skin cancer site, which I thought was a bit of an over reaction.  How wrong could I have been, these "friends" I have made on this site have been brilliant, we are all in the same boat and we all support one another through our bad and good days. These skin cancers are naughty little devils that come to haunt us.  Yes it is new to you and in time you will come to accept how it looks but I am sure it will look much better in a few months than it does now.  When I first saw my face when the Nurse took the stitches out I could have sobbed, I didn't then, but did when I got home, but today it it hardly visible.  Please keep in touch with us all we will support you through it. Take care xx

• Hi Harlyn

Just wondering how you're getting on and how you're managing in this heatwave?

Also,  how is your friend?

• Hi Puckettyboo  Thanks for asking how I am.  Hating this sunshine I dogo  out but as infrequently as possible and covered in factor 50.  I know we are more prone to getting them now we have had one (in my case 2) so yes I am scared.  My friend has her operation next Friday, will let you know how she goes on.  How are you coping with the sun.  I am praying for rain and I promise I won't moan if if rains for days.  Hubby got an appointment to see my Consultant in 2 weeks time.  Thought he had a skin tag on his cheek but when I had closer look yesterday it is a cautaneous horn been verified by on line Dr.  Bet my Consultant won't believe it when he sees us in 2 weeks.. It isn't too big yhet as looking at pics they can grow and look awful. And so it goes on ............xx

• Hi Harlyn

I hate this weather and our living room has three large windows so gets full sun. All curtains are closed and I only go out when I have to. Something that not everyone understands.

I'm covered in factor 50 a big hat and sunglasses when I do venture out. I'm also looking forward to rain.

I see my consultant next week for wound healing check.

I have a friend who had a cutaneous horn and it was removed quickly and painlessly with no after effects.

Hope your friend gets on ok. These things are definitely on the increase and I'm quite paranoid about every little blemish I see as we're at greater risk now.

• Thank you for your reply that is good to know. How did they remove the horn from your friend was it an operation as we have booked my plastic surgeon rather than dermatologist.  Like you I go out in hat, sun glasses, blouse or cardigan and copious amout of sun cream. Roger not as good as me at putting sun cream on but he will now !!! xx

• Hi Harlyn

I think it was a dermatologist who removed the horn and it didn't take long at all. 

They sent it to histology to confirm that that's what it was and that there was no underlying skin cancer which there wasn't.

There were no skin flaps or grafts involved.

Your surgeon sounds lovely so I think I'd stick with him.

I'm a walker and during this weather I've been going out once the sun is down.

Yes your husband will now have to join you in taking care in the sun.

It's such a nuisance and worry isn't it?