5th week and worrying !

• 2 replies
  • 30 subscribers

Hi all - it has been 5 weeks since my diagnosis of basal cell carcinoma and 2.5 weeks since my biopsy to see “where margins are and how to treat “or at least I think that’s what the consultant said.Patience has never been a virtue of mine but the waiting is driving me crazy! I called the clinic yesterday and the biopsy is not yet back - maybe another week plus - I was told .I am still working and although there is no physical reason Why I should not be at work - I am not focusing and feel distracted ,weepy and tired,Is this normal and should I maybe take some time out ? Any one got any tips to get through these not knowing times - I am becoming paranoid about my skin too !Every spot and mole is now noticed .I don’t think I am handling this very well ! Any advice welcome x

• Hi Yorkrose.  What you are feeling is completely natural it is a big shock. Although basal cell cancers are considered low grade, they are still very worrying and disfiguring.  I was lucky I am 73 and retired, but don't think I could have functioned at work either, and certainly couldn't have gone to work after the operation, due to looking a mess and emotionally.  After my first operation I just burst into tears for no reason. I don't know why as I wasn't in pain, but think it just hit me what I had got and what I had been through, and knew I had to go through it all again for the other one.  I am paranoid too. I put my make up on with a large magnifying mirror which shows every lump and bump and I am thinking I have got loads.  Don't beat yourself up about how you are feeling, it is natural. This group was my life line and I am here for you whenever you need help or advice.  My results took 5 weeks to come back and 4 weeks the second time.  I see my Consultant in 4 weeks time which should be the final appointment to make sure skin graft is ok, but I am going to see him every 3 or 6 months for him to check things and try and stop me worrying.  We go to Cornwall at the weekend and I am dreading it as I don't like even hanging the washing out if it is sunny.  My case is full of Factor 50, 3 sun hats and an umbrella, but then I was always careful in the sun.  Take care and keep in touch. xx

• Hi Harlyn - time passes slowly -but it will be a stepping stone to see your  consultant in 4 weeks and get some piece of mind - it is good that he is going to check you out every few months - I will ask for that too - it is worth it to stop anxiety!

I have never been a fan of the sun or put myself out to sunbathe - I too go on holiday on Saturday to Norfolk - and must confess to having little interest in going .

Your hats resonate with me though as I have bought 6- 3 wide brimmed raffia ones from internet in smudgy shades of brown ,rose brown and rust brown - 3 cheapish ones from primark and 3 I already own ! I am sort of getting used to wearing them and keep them dotted around and in the car .

I cover up as much as possible now and use factor 50 on bits that show - I know that basal cell carcinoma is not supposed to spread - but I have also now started thinking the cough I have since covid a few months ago is sinister and have requested a GP appt ?! I don’t trust GP s really now and they said the cough was nothing to worry about too!

I will keep in touch and hope you have a super holiday !

thanks for being so supportive ! xxx