Four bccs removed from my face, and waiting to see doctor possibly another one.

• 4 replies
  • 9 subscribers

I just wanted to know if people that have had similar situation still go abroad for holidays, my husband would like to go but I am nervous of being in the sun, it’s hard to avoid if you are on holiday.

• Hi  

When I was first diagnosed with malignant melanoma I too was worried about going abroad for holidays or even holidaying in a sunny part of the UK. Now I know that being sensible in the sun doesn't mean that you have to stop doing things you used to enjoy doing, unless that was sunbathing, but you do need to change some things to protect yourself. I don't know what advice your dermatologist has given you but the generally accepted 'rules' are:

1. Stay out of the sun during the strongest time of the day (11am to 3pm) between April and October inclusive in the UK and in all months of the year in any other part of the world
    2. When going outside wear long sleeved tops and trousers/skirts made from natural fibres like cotton
    3. Wear a broad brimmed hat (brim should be at least 3 inches) and sun glasses
    4. Sit in the shade and never sunbathe 
    5. Any part of your body that is not covered, ie face, neck, back of hands should have a sun protection cream of SPF 50 that is effective against both UVA and UVB rays
    6. Re-apply the sunscreen as directed on the bottle
    7. Never use sunbeds
    8. Don't use sunscreen instead of covering up

The first summer after I was diagnosed was particularly hard as I used to enjoy sitting in the sun. However, I quickly got used to the new regime and have a selection of hats to choose from when I go out. I also decided that I now needed a whole new wardrobe so went on a shopping spree. So, every cloud has a silver lining!

I haven't had 'beach' holidays since being diagnosed but do still go on holiday. Now I tend to choose destinations where I can sight see, etc. However, a couple of year ago I did visit my sister in Australia and while there we had a 3 day mini break to a resort. I did go in the sea for short spells but then sat in the shade once out rather than in the sun. It seemed easier to be covered up in Australia as everyone is aware of how dangerous the sun can be and no one looks twice at someone wearing a hat because they all are too! 

I hope that helps a little 

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• Thanks for the advice, it’s just hard to stay out of the sun when you go abroad, i’d probably be safer in this country.

• The way I approached my decision making about whether to go abroad or not was that I had to stay out of the sun whether I was in this country or abroad so if I want to go abroad I do.

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• Hi hutchm  I feel your pain.  I have had 2 nasty bcc's removed from my face and am paranoid in the sun now.  I use Factor 50 suncream every day from end of February until end of November,  If I was going out today I would put it on.  I wear sun hats when going out in the summer too.  I was always careful in the sun and used sun cream, perhaps not Factor 50, but nothing less now.  I never go abroad and don't sunbathe.  My Consultant said most elderly people will get one of these in their lives and once you have had one you are more likely to get another, hence I have had 2.  I am constantly looking at any tiny blemish.  We holiday on Cornwall June and September, keep in the shade as much as possible and we are perhaps more careful than before, but we were careful then.  I am very fair skinned which he said makes it worse. Hard to advise you what to do, just be mindful and take every precaution you can.  Good Luck and keep in touch, this group is fantastic.  Alesys someone to help you out xx