Sunny weather

• 8 replies
  • 9 subscribers

Hi everyone

Haven't posted a lot recently buI do regularly read posts

I've been wondering how everyone has been coping with the very hot sunny weather we've been having recently 

• Hi  

I've mainly stayed indoors as it's cooler in the house than outside in the shade. How about you?

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• Hi latchbrook

I've mostly stayed in. I've never liked the sun and am now terrified of it.   I'm looking forward to cooler days 

• I'm really sorry to read that you're terrified of the sun Disappointed

I've had both a melanoma and BCC but I won't let this stop me enjoying outdoor activities. I just make sure that I'm completely covered and what I can't cover, eg face, back of hands, etc, I slather with SPF50.

My melanoma was nearly 7 years ago now and I can remember being much more cautious of being outside in the early days. I had a look at your profile to see how long ago it was that you had skin cancer, and what type, but you haven't completed it yet. If you're in the early days after a skin cancer diagnosis then I was recommended to do the following during April to October:

1. Stay out of the sun during the strongest time of the day (11am to 3pm) between April and October inclusive in the UK and in all months of the year in any other part of the world
    2. When going outside wear long sleeved tops and trousers/skirts made from natural fibres like cotton
    3. Wear a broad brimmed hat (brim should be at least 3 inches) and sun glasses
    4. Sit in the shade and never sunbathe 
    5. Any part of your body that is not covered, ie. face, neck, back of hands should have a sun protection cream of SPF 50 that is effective against both UVA and UVB rays
    6. Re-apply the sunscreen as directed on the bottle
    7. Never use sunbeds
    8. Don't use sunscreen instead of covering up

I did develop dracula type tendencies in the early days to the extent of crossing the street to stay out of the sun but I'm much more relaxed these days as long as I'm following the basic rules above.

I have to admit that I used to enjoy sitting in the sun but I'm happy, and much cooler, sitting in the shade these days. It took a while to adjust but I just do it automatically now.

When you have a minute, it would be great if you could pop something about your diagnoses and treatment into your profile as it really helps others when replying to you and also when looking for someone on a similar pathway. It also means that you don't have to keep repeating yourself. To do this click on your username and then select 'Profile'. You can amend it at any time and if you're not sure what to write you can take a look at mine by clicking on my username.

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• Yes we are the same arent we.  I hate the sun and hot weather now.  Been mainly indoors unless I have had to go shoppingh and Factor 50 all over any exposed parts.  Talk to you soon xx

• That's excellent advice latchbrook. Thank you.

My consultant told me not to be paranod.Easier said than done lol 

• Hi harlyn

How are you?

• It's easy for someone who hasn't had a skin cancer diagnosis to say don't be paranoid  ! I think as the years have gone past I have definitely felt more relaxed in the sun whilst still adhering to "the rules". Hopefully you'll get to that spot too Slight smile

Community Champion Badge

• Hi latchbrook

Yes it's easfor them to day don't be paranoid. Not easy to put into practice.

After all you've been through I think you've done amazingly well and have such a positive outlook although I'm sure you must have had your very down times