Overwhelmed by people

• 8 replies
  • 11 subscribers

Hi,

I had surgery to remove a BCC from my face at the end of January. I had a wide excision and skin flap and it ended up being a much bigger surgery physically and mentally than I was prepared for. Having been told for 10-15yrs that it was dry skin or where my glasses rubbed, to finally find out it was cancer brought on feelings of frustration. Everything then moved very quickly, and I wasn’t given any information about the scale or impact the surgery would have. I now have a large, disfiguring scar and the lumpy, thick skin flap is uncomfortable and near my eye. (There was a stitch attaching the new skin into the corner of my eye.) I’ve been struggling with the vigorous massage as the skin around my scar has broken twice and started bleeding due to the delicate nature of the skin around your eye. Has anyone else found this?
I’ve always been a friendly, sociable person, but now even the thought of being with people overwhelms me. The larger or louder the group, the worse it is. I then get really frustrated with myself for being dramatic and end up in a self-blame/guilt cycle. Has anyone else experienced anything like this and do you have any tips of how to deal with it? 

• I had a bcc removed near my eye and thought it was my glasses rubbig me.  It was very unsightly.  I had a skin graft for this one and when stitches were taken out it was a horrible thick black scab. I was very tearful and sent picture to my plastic surgeon who told me in the fullness of time it would be fine.  A year on and it is fine and it did affect my eye slightly in that it watered a lot as tear duct was involved.  I had another bcc done near my nostril with a skin flap.  This was a very raised scar when stitches were removed and I massaged very hard when it had healed and when I looked n the mirror one day the lump had gone and skin was flat.  People tell me they cant tell I have had surgery but I know and can see the scars but they arent bad at all. I did find it hard massaging the skin near my eye as I used bio oil and however careful I was it would go in my eye.  Dont be so rough do it very gently around the delicate area. What are you using to massage it with.  I found the old fashioned Nivea cream in the blue tin was good as unperfumed.  Your feelings are natural and if you read stpries on this site we all feel the same, tearful and emotional, but bcc's are curable and I am sure your scars will settle in time.  Are you a sun worshipper or like me never have been, never been abroad and never been on a sunbed, so just unlucky.  Please take care in the sun and use Factor 50 sun lotion. I was told to use it from March until end of November every day. which is what I am doing.  Please feel free to ask any other questions you have as we are all here for one another, this site is brilliant. xx

• Hi sporty

Just to reassure you that everything you're feeling is normal and that it will get better in time. You need to give it time.

You're definitely not being dramatic and I'm not surprised you feel how you do after being told your skin cancer was just dry skin for all those years. That's shocking.

I had a basal cell removed from the side of my nose last June but I didn't have reconstruction like you and Harlyn. Mine was left to heal by itself. The scar itself is still a bit sire and itchy but it's faded and so will yours in time.

People can minimise the impact these skin cancers can have but they're not small and they have a real effect on us that have to go through the surgery.

Just take your time and keep in touch 

• Hi, my consultant just told me to massage it in the shower in the morning and use moisturiser in the evening - E45 for me. I then have to apply silicone gel which is really difficult because it says not to use it near the eyes! But that’s what the consultant said, so I’m following that. I’m the exact opposite of a sun worshipper, I actually have solar uticaria so am allergic to the sun. I have always covered myself in high factor sun cream whenever there is any sun. So very unlucky!

• Thank you. When people see the outside healing, they think that’s it, you’re better. I don’t think they realise how much healing still has to happen underneath with scar tissues, nerves reattaching etc. But then again, why would they if they haven’t been through it?! I’m not really bothered about the scar as much, more I’d like the functionality back in my skin/face, but hopefully that will come with time xxx

• Hi Sporty

My experience is not like yours as in my BCC was on my shoulder/top of my arm.

My scar is healing nicely with the help of silicone gel and moisturiser, but as several here say, the mental scars are super deep for me. I struggle with people staring or passing unhelpful comments, and frequently feel up one minute and down the next.

I worry about what I will feel on summer holiday, I worry about caring for my skin in the sun. And more than anything, I am terrified of it coming back. 

I am told that all this is normal to feel, but it still doesnt make me feel better. You are not being dramatic at all, until you have experienced this, you have no idea what it feels like mentally. 

This group is a great reassurance.

• This is so true Tigger22 I have just come back from 2 weeks in Cornwall and I was secretly paranoid. Didnt say too much to hubby as didnt want to spoil his holiday.  The first week was dreadful as so hot and so much sun, second week better as dull and rained too !!  I cover myself in Factor 50 take it with me and apply every hour or so, long sleeves, sun hat and sun glasses and still I panic.  I did tell my Plastic surgeon that and he said yes I understand, BUT dont be afraid as you need the sun for vitamin D. At least he did understand but dont think they understand the deep rooted anxiety a lot of us feel, he has never had it.  I am and never have been a sun worshipper, only holiday in Cornwall and never used a sun bed in my life.  I did only use Factor 30 sun cream though but now all that was thrown away and bottles and tubes of Factor 50 everywhere.  Dont know if you saw my message to everyone the other day my hubby found a Factor 100 sun cream in Boots for me Euricrin (think that is it) and it is for people who have had non melanoma skin cancers i.e basal cell and squamas cell skin cancers. This group is a life line to people like us.  Enjoy the summer - soon be autumn xx

• Hi  

Can I ask, as someone who had melanoma, why the sunscreen is only suitable for people who've had non melanoma skin cancer?

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• Hi Latchbrook. I dont know that is what is said on the box.  I didnt buy it as wanted to google it myelf when I got home, but as mine were nasty bcc's I think I will get some.x