New scab after 3 months

• 20 replies
  • 8 subscribers

I have developed a new scab on my skin flap scar, 3 months after surgery. Is this normal or should I get it checked?

• Hi phenom

Hopefully should hear this or next week.

I expect you have a lot of internal stitches and it could well be that.

You've had a large area operated on so I can understand you feeling low.

Perhaps if it doesn't heal you can see the consultant in under the two months he suggested?

I think the full healing can take some time but to put your mind at rest a face to face consultation could be arranged?

Which type of basal cell did you have?

• HI phenom  I have got internal stiches popping up around the skin graft site, so hopefully that is what yours is too.  I  quite understand you are feeling low today people just don't realise the trauma we all go through and are still going through with these pesky things,  Here for you anytime you need to talk x

• Hi phenom. I was wondering if there's been any improvement in your new new scabs?

• Hi there yes it seems to be healing.  Every week that goes by everything looks a bit better.  The surgeon did warn me that the healing would take a LONG time and there's no scabs on the main site soFingers crossedPrayPray

• That's good that it's healing.

My wound is healing by secondary intention and I was told it'll take a long time.

I'm beginning to wish I'd let him reconstruct it but I didn't want to risk positive margins 

• what is secondary intention Puckettyboo. I've not heard of it.  Would reconstruction have meant a skin graft. Just got back from Cornwall and after my rocky start, I think being in the fresh air (with factor 50 on every hour) has made an improvement in my scars. I didn't massage them either as thought I am putting enough stuff on, I will leave them. They look much better than before my holiday.  See Plastic Surgeon on 20th July so bet he will think they are doing ok now. These damn things they drive us crazy don't they xx

• Hi Harlyn

Secontact intention is when they don't reconstruct or suture you up on day of excision. They either wait for history report and do it then or if the wound and area is suitable leave it to heal by itself. But as I'm finding out it's a long process and you have to have a dressing on it all the time whilst it slowly heals.

My surgeon  wanted to reconstruct on the day but because this thing had been misdiagnosed as nothing to worry about almost three years ago I was worried about margins and didn't want more surgery after a reconstruction so he agreed to not reconstruct immediately.

I see him Thursday and I'm hoping histology is back. He'll decide then whether to reconstruct or leave it.

Glad you enjoyed your holiday in the end. It's such a worry isn't it?

I wish people understood 

• Sorry Harlyn. That was a bit of a ramble.

Basically secondary intention healing is when the wound heals by itself. 

• I had part of my wound heal by secondary intention.  It's a very slow process.  The original wound was 5.5cm reduced to about 3x2 with the skin flap and it took over two months to fill in.  That's the part that won't ever grow hair.

• That's a large area to heal by secondary intention.

I saw the surgeon today who is happy with everything. He sent me home with a load of steri strips and advice on how to look after it.

I see him in a month and he said it should have healed by then. At the moment I think it looks horrible but he seems happy with it.

He said if it starts to overgranulate to call him and he'll give me some dressings to treat it.

Your right tho. It's a very slow process.

How is your wound now?