Skin graft

• 6 replies
  • 7 subscribers

Hi

I’m new to this forum. Had a skin lesion removed 4 weeks ago and skin graft on lower leg. I’m recovering slowly saw Consultant yesterday he said it was a skin cancer they got it all. Thh hi en checked groin and back of knee. Told me to do this regularly and report any lumps. To go back in 3 mths. I saw my leg for first time it was a shock got very upset. It’s dealing with the change in appearance. I am very lucky they got it etc but I also feel sad scared lack confidence! 

• Hi and welcome to the skin cancer group

I 'spoke' to you the other day in New to the Community and I hope you've managed to speak to the consultant since to find out what type of skin cancer you have.

I remember when I saw the wound from the wide local excision (WLE) I had after being diagnosed with melanoma how surprised I was by the size of it. However, it quickly settled down and is now barely visible. You are still in the very early stages of recovery so I'm sure yours will also improve with time.

It's completely natural to feel scared after having a skin cancer removed. Your body has let you down in a big way and we all worry to a certain extent that it will recur.

Do keep taking on here and if there's anything you want to ask I'm sure there'll be someone with the right experience for you.

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• Hi

i rang the hospital and asked for copy GO letter. It has arrived today it says squamous cell carcinoma which was completely excised and skin graft left side. Mentions SCC. I have follow up appointment in Nov 21 received today. 

Yes I need to get used to seeing the leg the dressings are due to be taken off Tuesday then advised to leave off !

Thanks x

• That's good that you now know what you're dealing with .

In case there wasn't any information about SCC (squamous cell carcinoma) attached with your letter I've attached a link to the information provided by BAD (British Association of Dermatologists) as I noticed in your profile that you said you felt you had very little information.

All the best for Tuesday and remember that no matter how bad you think it looks it will improve.

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• Hi 

thanks for that information I think with Covid masks etc this process as been stressful and not much info. Do I need to leave this group you mentioned something in an earlier thread. 
    x

• This group covers non-melanoma skin cancer, of which SCC is one, so this is the correct group for you

x

Community Champion Badge