Bowel blockage and kidney function advice

• 1 reply
  • 5 subscribers

Hi all, I haven’t posted on here for some time. My mum had ovarian cancer stage 3 in 2021 then later diagnosed with a separate rare appendix cancer goblet cell that same year (following pathology results after her debulk surgery for ovarian). She is currently now stage 4 goblet cell and has never had specific treatment for it. 

Currently, after a couple of weeks of in / out at the Christie, another bowel blockage has finally been found. The only way to treat this is by her starting the chemo (capecitebine tablets initially then poss combined with ox p). The issue with this is the C is affecting her kidneys slightly, more so the right side. If her kidney function isn’t quite good enough at present then they want to do a Nephrostomy bag (I think that’s what they call them?) before chemo to get her function up. This we find out today.

Mum initially, and understandably, went into meltdown and said no, take her home. But of course if she does this then life won’t be of much quality and it’d likely be short. She’s 65, has very young grandchildren and a lot to live for. That said she’s battled both ovarian and appendix cancer for the last 20 months. Can I blame her for feeling like throwing the towel in.. no of course. But to me and the rest of the family, she still has options. Ones that MAY work and give her some more time. How much I’ve no idea. Maybe I’m being selfish but I of course want her to do what she needs to do. Any advice around the blockage, kidney function / bag and how you manage, or general would be very much appreciated xxxx

• Hi

I just 'bumped' your post in the ovarian cancer group and I'm doing the same here in the hope that someone with the relevant experiences will see it and reply to you.

Wishing you and your mum all the best with whatever she decides to do.

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"