HIPEC

• 11 replies
  • 5 subscribers

Hi,

My husband had bowel cancer last year, he had an operation to remove the tumour and was given a stoma, he had 6 months of chemotherapy and had the all clear in January. We have recently found out the Bowel cancer is back and he additionally has pseudomyxoma peritonei, we are hoping that he can have the HIPEC treatment and are currently waiting for a consultation in Basingstoke.

Does anyone have any advice or experience of the treatment etc, or how to cope as the wife? Additionally we have a 3 and 6 year old so I'm finding it difficult to juggle everything with working full time too and look after everyone. 

• Hi

I'm sorry to hear that besides the bowel cancer recurring he's now been diagnosed with pseudomyxoma peritonei.

How did you get on searching for HIPEC treatment in the peritoneal cancer group? I've had a look in this group and there are some previous threads that mention it here as well.

It must be very hard juggling the demands of being a carer along with working and looking after your children so could I suggest that you join the carers group where, unfortunately, you'll find lots of people in the same position. However, it's a safe and supportive place to share your worries and concerns.

To join just click on the link I've created and then choose 'join this group' on the page that opens. You can then introduce yourself and ask questions after selecting 'start a discussion' and join in with existing conversations by clicking on 'reply'.

When you have a minute it would be really useful if could pop something about your husband's journey so far into your profile as it helps others when answering or looking for someone with a similar diagnosis. It also means that you don't have to keep repeating yourself. To do this click on your username and then select 'Edit Profile'. You can amend it at any time and if you're not sure what to write you can take a look at mine by clicking on my username.

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• Hi Latchbrook,

I have read through some of the posts which I have found useful and I have used the links you have provided thank you and I will look at adding to my profile- but where to start eh?! 

We actually have an appointment in the hospital in Basingstoke tomorrow so I'm terrified what they are going to say and that BUPA or the NHS wont pay for the operation, raising £100000 seems like a ridiculous task.   

x

• Let me know how you get on tomorrow . I didn't realise that there was a possibility that the operation wouldn't be funded by the NHS Disappointed

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• Thank you I will.

I had no idea either? I thought all operations would be? I'll be asking tomorrow why it wouldn't be funded!

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to LJ5

Hi I had my hipec/crs surgery in Christie’s Manchester October last year and paid privately through vitality insurance , it was also available on the nhs but I’m sure the waiting time may have been longer. 

• Hi Flowery,

I'm not sure why they surgeon seems so convinced that funding is a big issue? but if BUPA agree to pay for it I would be very happy! I'm not sure if it's to do with the fact the cancer has spread from the bowel rather than another area??  

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to LJ5

Hopefully they you will learn more tomorrow. 

• Latchbrook and flowery,

It was a good consolation in Basingstoke, the surgeon has recommended the HIPEC treatment and provisionally booked us in for 13th January. So very positive!

Just need to convince BUPA to pay for it, the issue with funding is because we live in Cardiff and the NHS in Wales dont recognise the operation as a feasible option- it seems nuts!!

• Glad to hear the consultation went well and your consultant has booked a provisional date for surgery.

I'll be keeping everything crossed that BUPA agree to fund it.

x

Community Champion Badge

• Hi Latchbrook,

I thought I would update you, BUPA are coughing up the cash for the HIPEC surgery!! We had the preop today and we are going in to hospital on Sunday with the operation taking place on Monday- cant wait for them to just get on with it now.

Added bonus is I can have 5 days special leave from work so I can stay in Basingstoke until my husband is out of intensive care and my mum is coming up to Cardiff to look after my children. It all seems to be falling in to placeSmile

x