Hoping to kill my cancer

• 4 replies
  • 163 subscribers

Just saying hello. I was diagnosed with prostate cancer through a PSA test back in May. Thankfully after scans and biopsy the cancer appears  isolated to my prostate and has not spread. Am now on hormone treatment, with radiation therapy starting in December with a fancy new scanner in London that allows the operator to see in real time the prostate position while simultaneously zapping it with radiation. Wish me luck!

• Hi  , sorry you have joined our group but pleased to hear your treatment is underway. Please keep us informed about progress on the new scanners. Good luck, David

• Welcome  - nice to know that you will have the latest LINAC technology- this reduces the risk of collateral damage to adjacent structures & organs.  It’s amazing how radiotherapy has become so much safer due to massive strides in the development of the apparatus.    AW

• Hello  . Hello and GOOD LUCK. I see that you have localised prostate cancer which is the better end of the diagnosis and the radiotherapy should deal with it once and for all. If you would like us to help you with anything then just ask but in the meantime it would help us to help you if you could put a little more detail on your profile page such as initial PSA, Gleason, TNM - click on the chair, go to profile, edit, add your info and don't forget to press save. In the meantime try and get as fit as possible as it will help battle the fatigue that hormone therapy and radiotherapy can cause. The hormone therapy does come with some side effects, most of which can be helped and, as you are on a curative pathway don't forget about your penile health to maintain blood flow. Also it would be a good idea to start pelvic floor exercises in preparation for the radiotherapy - there is a helpful app called the SQUEEZY APP which explains how and when to do them.

Here are some useful links if you want more information.

https://issuu.com/magazineproduction/docs/js_prostate_cancer_guide_for_patients_ezine

https://prostatecanceruk.org/prostate-information-and-support/treatments/hormone-therapy

Please keep us informed of your progress and all the best for the 'sunbed' in December but come back before hand if you need more information.