Repeat Psa

• 7 replies
  • 161 subscribers

Hi, I’m new to the group which I’ve been following for the last week or so. Here goes, Im 55yrs old ’ve had a bad back since this April's so went to the Doctors conducted an examination and a full blood count plus psa.

All the bloods came back normal apart from my psa which was 3.7.. I then had a DRE which was normal. I had to do a repeat psa 6 weeks later which has risen to 5.04 which has scared the life out of me. Yesterday I was put on the 2 week pathway to see the oncologist. 

I’m trying to get my head around it all but I’m very nervous about my oncology visit as I don’t know what to expect, will it be a chat? Will I have tests? Any advice would be very much appreciated. 
thank you very much SCJ

• Hi  , sorry to hear you are on the pathway but if you have anything nasty, sounds like you are at the early stage which is good.  All very scary for you but this is the worst stage.  Your referral will probably be with an oncologist who may want to repeat the DRE but other than that, it is likely to be just a chat about what happens next.  Likely to be an MRI scan and or a biopsy (but let’s not get too far in front of ourselves) as soon as can be arranged.  Come back with any other questions but avoid using Dr Google!  Let us know how it goes and best wishes, David

• Thank you very much David, I will definitely avoid Dr google 

• Hello  

Firstly, sorry to find you here and hope we can help you understand what is happening. When you have a raised PSA (and your initial PSA was only just above the threshold for your age) then it is routine to repeat it. There are many reasons besides cancer which can cause this type of increase in the PSA after 6 weeks but your GP has quite rightly put you onto the two weeks referral to try and determine whether the rise is as a result of cancer or has a benign cause such as a urine infection or prostatitis which can be caused by the DRE itself. Also ejaculating or having vigorous exercise within a couple of days of the test can also increase the PSA. Don't forget your DRE did not indicate an abnormality.

I would expect you to be seeing a Urologist initially who will organise some initial tests and, depending on these results, will then either give you the all clear or will refer you to an oncologist. I have attached an information sheet on the two week pathway for one particular health authority but please bear in mind that there might be a slightly different protocol for the area you live in.

Please come back with any questions and we will try and help.

https://www.buckshealthcare.nhs.uk/pifs/2-week-wait-prostate-pathway/

• Thank you I’ve just had a phone call from urology to confirm a MRI in the next 2 weeks which was a really quick response 

• Good. This is the first step and should determine if something is there or not. Provided your blood test showed that you had no kidney problems then they usually inject a contrast which can make the MRI pictures clearer, but it is not essential. It can also be a little claustrophobic so if you have a problem then let the technicians know. You should be given instructions of what to do prior to the scan but it doesn't take long and is painless.

• Hi again  , that is good that the MRI has been ordered.  There can be a wait for results from the MRI but at least you are in the system.  Try and forget about it (easier said than done, I know) and enjoy the wonderful summer!  Best wishes, David

• Hi SJC

Welcome to the group. Your PSA is not particularly high and as others have said, a raised level can be caused by other things. I am not a medical professional but I have a relative who is biochemist in the cancer field and also happens to have prostate cancer. He has told me that the PSA test is not very reliable and even samples that have been taken close together can yield a significantly different result. The test is well known for giving false positives and not that good a predictor of pc on its own at lower levels. It's easy to say and difficult to do but try not to worry too much. The MRI will tell you whether any action is needed. Quite possibly there will be nothing.

Best of luck and let us know how you get on.

Cliff