Hi, New to this group & cancer.

• 4 replies
  • 164 subscribers

My Husband has recently been diagnosed with Prostrate cancer which unfortunately has spread to his spine, but thankfully not his nervous system. he started Hormone treatment injections whilst in hospital & had his next one last week.

He had a biopsy in his left groin, we have just had the results which show they are cancerous.

We are now waiting for his appointment with the oncology team.

It's quite likely that he will have to have Radiotherapy . 

I know everyone is different, but I would like to know what to expect as I find it hard to deal with the unknown.

Thanks

Malady

• Hello  

A warm welcome to the online Prostate Community - I am so sorry to find you here, but we are a great bunch!!

It would help us to help you if you are able to let us have his TNM staging, Gleason Score and initial PSA (I am a T3aN0M0 Gleason 9 (5+4) and initial PSA182). If you could add these to your profile it would be great. To do this click on the chair - top right on your home page, then "profile" and then "edit". (You can read mine by clicking on my avatar).

The Hormone treatment has started, that will reduce the cancer's food (Testosterone) and stop any further growth. From what you have said - it's likely he will go onto "Triplet Therapy" to hit the cancer hard, this is a combination of Hormone Therapy and Chemotherapy.

I hope this helps,

Best wishes - Brian.

Community Champion badge

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Strength, Courage, Faith, Hope, Defiance, VICTORY.

I am a Macmillan volunteer.

• Welcome to the club everyone wishes we weren't into. Slight smile

Best wishes to you both and remember that while dealing with cancer is scary, it is not hopeless. There are lots of treatments available and new ones appear frequently. 

Just make certain that you surround yourselves with a team that you are comfortable with and that are competent in their fields. I find that having a medical oncologist and a radio oncologist is a good combo. 

• Hi Malady.

Welcome to our prostate cancer family sorry to have meet you under these circumstances but anyway it's still great to have you with us.

Yes my journey began last June 2023 and unfortunately I had the bad news but as we all say our prostate cancer is "Treatable" 

I was put on to HT injections and tablets straightaway which has brought my PSA down from the initial 1000+ to now 12mnts later 0.9 which is really crazy.

I was told that chemo would be the next step for me so at least there is something ready and waiting for me.

On a daily basis I try to keep as busy as possible & I always stay as positive as I can as this will make a big difference in the end.

Prostate Worrier.

• Hi Malady, I’m not long since joining this wonderful group of people . Welcome xx