Exercise advice please

• 2 replies
  • 163 subscribers

Hi all, im 57 years old and I have recently been diagnosed with prostate cancer, low PSA score of 3.8 Gleason 7 (3+4) at stage 2c & my op has been arranged for about 8 weeks time. 
I used to be a bit of a gym bunny but I now find myself a bit on the heavy side so I’d like to lose a bit of weight between now and then. I used to enjoy getting hot & sweaty on a spin bike so was thinking that I might like to do this again. 
so my question is, will being on what is essentially a bicycle detrimentally affect my prostate, would this form of exercise “rough up” my prostate and cause an exacerbation of the issue or would the benefits outweigh the risks?. Currently I don’t have a single symptom.

thanks in advance

john 

• Hello  

That's a great question - I am aware that for surgery you should be an average BMI and not overweight however I am not sure about weight loss. I know bicycle riding and sexual intercourse (or sexual activity) can affect your PSA readings if you have indulged in the previous 2 days before a PSA test.

* I would think any type of exercise would be fine but would double check with your surgical team or ask one of our Macmillan Nurses - here's the link for this -

Ask a Nurse 

Please allow a couple of days for a reply due to the weekend and the bank holiday.

* I am aware you need to start Pelvic Floor Exercises between 6 and 4 weeks before surgery and a link to the guide for these is here-

https://shop.prostatecanceruk.org/our-publications/all-publications/pelvic-floor-muscle-exercises

The "Squeezy App" is also recommended for these - again link here-

https://squeezyapp.com/

I hope this helps, If I can do anything else for you please let me know.

Best wishes - Brian.

Community Champion badge

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Strength, Courage, Faith, Hope, Defiance, VICTORY.

I am a Macmillan volunteer.

• Hi JohnyBoy, I also enjoy the spin bike.  Before my surgery I made clear to my team I was a regular at the gym but was not told of any exercise I shouldn't undertake.  Does a double negative make a positive?  After my op I was told the rowing machine is good for the pelvic floor, so that might be an alternative.  About 6 weeks after the op I started a gentle spin again. A word of warning, if you suffer incontinence avoid the repetitive stand up sit down routines; it really gets the bladder pumping.  A 30 second standing climb is fine.  All the best.