Hello, Good Evening and Welcome to my world.

• 5 replies
  • 161 subscribers

Hi everybody.

I have looked at some of the entries in the forum and been inspired by the care and concern of fellow members.

I have throughout my life been a ?hard? man as far as medical issues are concerned. I considered many ailments to be psychosomatic.

I was a herdsman at one stage caring for 300 milk cows. During that period I was trained by the Best Vet in Sussex to recognise symptoms early and respond immediately. Unfortunately by the time I was 80 I had lost that hard-learned skill and although I picked up on something being wrong I accepted the vet's (sorry - Doc's) observation that my blood test  was OK even though I had some blood in my urine. (I even once worked with a vet who didn't trust doctors so self-medicated with animal remedies!)

I made another appointment and persuaded them to take another test which clearly showed positive so they referred me under the 2 weak rule. The service I am getting now is excellent. Maybe the fact that my son comes to appointments when he can and brings his training as an ODP works to my advantage. I feel a bit lost when he isn't there as my memory is not as good as it should be. At my last appointment  I asked the Registrar if I could video-conference with my son at future appointments, which he thought a reasonable idea but if the medical staff are unhappy with that I will ask to record sessions so I can replay and write a sensible summary.

I am my wife's main carer. The implications of that concern me far more than my own condition. SO I have to keep on going for her sake...because I still love her as I did when we married 59 years ago...

That's me introduced.

Dave

• Great to meet you Dave pity it wasn’t in better circumstances but I suppose beggars can’t be choosers this site is great as fellow sufferers it tends to be easier to unload ,plenty help and advice oHeart here and I hope your lovely wife is baring up as she will need support as well,I take my hat off to people caring for Heart️ones as my wife is my Carreras I suffer from Rheumatoid Arthritis Angina and Type2 diabetes (yes that’s all along with now prostate cancer)but she also cares for my Mum who has Alzheimer’s,she took early retirement to care for her and is my Guardian Angel,if you put your profile up and we can get some information I’m Type2 3+4 Gleason 7 and was lucky to be caught early and am awaiting RT,stay strong and look forward to reading your posts,Robert 

• Hello Dave ( )

Another warm welcome to the online forum from me - I am so sorry to find you here. We all have that one bond - Prostate Cancer, but at the same time it keeps us "stronger together".

It looks like you are aware of where you are with your diagnosis and I do hope it it does not impact on your ability to care for your wife.

I have read your profile and you have been through "the mill" however you are battling om which is great. To enable us to give you the best help and advice are you able to add your Gleason Score and TNM staging if you have had a Prostate biopsy (I saw your initial PSA as being 654!!).

And congratulations on 59 years of marriage - it makes my 45 years look small!

Best wishes - Brian.

Community Champion badge

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Strength, Courage, Faith, Hope, Defiance, VICTORY.

I am a Macmillan volunteer.

• Hi Dave welcome over from the new to the community forum, please ask any and all questions you wish too. being married and in love for 59 years is amazing, It's taken me 59 years to hopefully get married later this year so congratulations to you and your wife. Dave you asked on the other forum, what people with a similar diagnosis to your own found helps them, I also have metastatic prostate cancer, though i have no bone mets "hopefully" i do have micro fractures T1 and T3 in spine, sacrum and pelvis along with bone thinning. The things that help me are my partner and family, a sense of humour, being positive, active, accepting i will have down days, being open with my emotions and making the most of what time i have left. best wishes to you and your wife.

Eddie

• Oh Dave. What a lovely sentiment after 59 years. We are coming up to 27 years tomorrow so 'youngsters' but also going through metastatic prostate cancer. I have been my husband's carer for most of those 27 years as he had a stroke and suffers from debilitating PTSD but fight all the battles together. I think  has summed it up beautifully about what helps. My husband comes from farming stock and got Brucellosis from sticking his hands up too many cows backsides many years ago (50+) and it wasn't properly treated. He has a very rare form of prostate cancer and the thought is that it may be associated with the lesions which developed as a result of the Brucellosis.

We are here as a group to support each other but also  , as our community champion, has access to many resources if you find you need help. Please don't dismiss the Enzalutamide too quickly. My husband found that taking them did not cause him any additional problems on top of the side effects from the injections and it meant that he was closely monitored (even if it is by a vet).

• Hi Dave ( ), welcome to the group and sorry I have not much to add, other than to restate ‘please ask any questions at any time’, as this journey tends to throw up curved balls at us and it helps to hear from others who have got the T-shirt.  Congratulations on 57 years, I am a newbie at only 51 years married!  Best wishes, David