Hot Flushes

• 13 replies
  • 157 subscribers

Good Morning all. 

I am 5 years down the road with metastatic prostate cancer but, thankfully, my PSA is still <0.1. I have lots of issues, but today, I would like to raise a very basic, but also very annoying subject. Hot flushes. For the past 2 years, I have been quite happy taking sage capsules, but I now find they are less effective for some reason, so am scouting around for alternatives. I am looking at ginkgo and ginseng and wonder if any of you have found these to be useful. All suggestions are welcome. I would point out that I have already tried acupuncture and this worked well while I was having it, but stopped pretty quickly when I wasn't. 

Anyway, thanks you for any response and I wish you all well.

• Hello  

First and foremost let me say I love the last two lines of your profile and you are keeping your promise.!! Thumbsup.

I have had bad hot flushes at the start of my HT journey 2 years ago - Menoforce tablets from Holland and Barrett work for me but I think the HT is winning and I have like you found them to be less effective.

Acupuncture would be out for me as I am needle phobic.

Like you I am up for any new ideas of how to keep them at bay (although unlike you I only have another 8 months of HT to go!).

* At this point can I put my Community Champions hat on and please remind you all *

1) If you are taking any type of supplements please check with your medical team it's OK.

2) Please refer to the Community Guidelines regarding any posts about Alternative Therapies, Complementary Therapies and CBD products.

Community Guidelines 

Thanks everybody for your understanding here.

Best wishes - Brian.

Community Champion badge

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Strength, Courage, Faith, Hope, Defiance, VICTORY.

I am a Macmillan volunteer.

• Hi RickyD

i was diagnosed just before Christmas. I was put on bicultamide for 6 weeks and then on implants.  I started with hot flushes within a week of the first Zolodex implant. I’ve tried sage but they don’t seem to work. Yes, it’s a pain in the derrière but, looking at the prescribed stuff to stop them, it’s a ‘no’ from me because of the fairly serious side effects. They do tend to interfere with my sleep and along with the tamsulosin not being very effective, I find I am really tired throughout the day. I have a consultation in a couple of days and I’ll raise this issue. 
    I know that people are only trying to be helpful but, please, no ‘lay off the caffeine’, ‘don’t go on your phone/watch tv for an hour before bed’ or ‘take a walk’ comments?  I’ve followed all of that advice…. and there’s been no noticeable improvement. All that has done is deprive me of my passion for a good, freshly ground coffee, as well as still having a poor night’s sleep. 
    I used Melatonin for an issue I had with sleep, some time ago so, I asked for them to be prescribed. However get a completely BS statement that the NHS doesn’t prescribe them, which I have recently found out isn’t true!  Also, as a side effect of helping me sleep, there’s been research that suggests (and it’s a given that this needs more looking into) that melatonin can help with prostate cancer and help prevent dementia. So, as a 67 year old who had issues with 2 out of three of the things that melatonin could help with, I am frustrated with being ’flow-charted’ rather than ‘treated’ on this issue!  

Cheers

Axel 

• Hi RickyD,

I also had acupuncture for my hot flushes and similarly, the effect of this wore off pretty quickly. However, I have purchased acupuncture needles myself and self administer. Just 2 needles near my ankles, point SP6. Whilst this doesn't get rid of the hot flushes, it certainly helps keep them at bay.

All the best

• Hi RickyD

Good afternoon and welcome it's great to meet you here today and it's great to hear that you are 5yrs down the road on your prostate cancer journey.

I also suffer with hot flushes since I started my Hormone Therapy last June. I use both a neck fan and a damp cloth too cool me down which seems to work very well.

I do hope that this is helpful and if you need any further help/info please let me know??

Prostate Worrier.

• Hello,

My OH had terrible hot flushes and tried everything, he was prescribed Medroxy Progesterone Acetate 10mg twice a day. Huge difference. That should help if youve run out of all the sage/ needle options .

LSlight smile

• Thanks for your response Brian. I usually check with my onco if I am interested in something that I think might be of help. It is surprising how little is known about the interaction between different drugs. For example, I am taking Diltiazem for Atrial Fibrillation and Abiraterone for my PC. These 2 hate each other and give me a lot of breathlessness. I am currently awaiting a Cardiology appointment in the hope of a different prescription for the AF. It may be a long wait.

Cheers

• Hi Makanlah,

I think the idea of self administered acupuncture is taking the concept of self service a little too far, for me at least. I ended up with peripheral neuropathy after my chemo and about 35% of each foot is numb. Don't think I want to be poking around where I can't feel what I am doing.

Glad it works for you though.

Many thaks

• Yes I know the script - I have CKD and my Type 2 Diabetic Medication was reducing my kidney function.

A word with the pharmacist at the G P's and all sorted.

It pays to have full access to your medical records on the NHS App and to take an interest in all your test results.

Best wishes - Brian.

Community Champion badge

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Strength, Courage, Faith, Hope, Defiance, VICTORY.

I am a Macmillan volunteer.

• Hi Ricky, I thought Enzalutamide was a choice for avoiding heart problems. OH takes Abiraterone with steroids to counterbalance side effects. Do you take? I know heart and liver can be affected with A 

* just looked at your profile and see you do take same steroids . Take a look at Enzulutamide as an option maybe. 
    L

• I started Abiraterone in March 2022 but eventually developed atrial fibrillation and have been on and off Abi ever since. According to NICE, once I have been on Abi, it is not an option to go onto Enzalutamide. They say it will make no discernible difference and is not worth the cost. Looks like I'm a bad investment