PSA levels after Radical Prostatectomy

• 31 replies
  • 158 subscribers

Hello, just joined this forum.  I had a radical Prostatectomy 7 weeks ago and had my first PSA test last week,  it came back as still 5.7! I didn't think a level that high was possible without a prostate! Seeing the consultant this Tuesday, but has anyone ride ever had a reading like that?

Thanks

• Hello  - a warm welcome to the online Prostate Community - I am so sorry to find you here.

I am one of the "lucky" ones still with a Prostate - however from my understanding of surgery, you are correct and your PSA should be almost unreadable. At least you have the matter in hand and are seeing your team on Tuesday. I would be most interested to hear of the outcome of that meeting and send you my best wishes for a good result.

Kind regards - Brian.

Community Champion badge

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Strength, Courage, Faith, Hope, Defiance, VICTORY.

I am a Macmillan volunteer.

• Thank you Brian, I will update what is going on after the consultation. 

• Hi Typhooteaman, residual PSA can remain in the blood for some time, and usually your first PSA test is done three months after surgery to allow it to disappear from the blood so giving you a true reading, six weeks seems a little early, though i am not an expert, best wishes with your consultation, take care.

Eddie

• Hi Eddie,

Everything I have read says 5 to 6 weeks after the operation should be the time for the first PSA blood test and by then it should be around 0, but certainly hope you're right and it is still on the way down.

Thanks, Rob

• Hi Typhoo. You may be under a different regime to me, but my NHS letter says I have a blood test 11 weeks after op to be discussed in week 12. I hope your consultation goes well. 

• Hi Amnesiac, must be different regime, it was supposed to be blood test after 5 weeks then consultation after 6, but the consultation was booked for after 7 weeks, so blood test also a week later at 6 weeks. See how it goes tomorrow!

• Hi

At 4 weeks my PSA had dropped from 6.63 to <0.01.  My next test is in a couple of weeks at about 5 months.  Good luck for tomorrow and will keep fingers crossed for you.

• Hi, thanks for your kind thoughts. Unfortunately, it was as I suspected,  the consultant said having a psa over over 5 over 6 weeks after the operation is very unusual and means the cancer has more than likely spread, It was a gleason score of 9. I am being sent for a PET scan now to try and identify where it may have spread. 

• Hi  - I am sorry to read that but as you say a Gleason 9 is Aggressive.

I do hope the PET scan gives you some answers - remember we are all here for you and please keep us in the loop.

Best wishes - Brian.

Community Champion badge

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Strength, Courage, Faith, Hope, Defiance, VICTORY.

I am a Macmillan volunteer.

• Thanks Brian, pre op my PSA was 11.4, so at least it's come down. Will keep this thread updated with what happens.