Hello all

• 2 replies
  • 153 subscribers

Hello everyone.  I thought I would say hi as I am hoping to be here a while.  Things for me started really in January this year with some toilet issues.  Urgency, frequency and pain post urination.  It came to a head when I very nearly wet the bed and thought for a 53 year old, sober man, that is not normal.  I called GP and a  urine test and blood test was organised.  After a few days I called the  receptionist and she said all ok apart from a low white and red count so that needs to be tested again.  I breathed a sigh or relief, and went about my day.  One hour later the GP himself called and said my PSa was “Extremely high” and not to put too fine a point on it I should be thinking cancer!  Well that took the legs away from me but I did appreciate his candour.  He said he had made an urgent referral to urology.  In fact I saw the Urologist 2 weeks later who did a DRE and ultrasound and confirmed he wasn’t happy with what he felt.  He did say this could be anything but organised a CT, MRI, Bon escan and TR biopsy.  Long sorry short the results are in and in many ways it’s not good.   Bone scan showed Mets to sacrum and ribs, biopsy had all 8 cores cancerous and a Gleason of 9 with a 5/4 split.  I have since found out my PSa was 127.  Urologist did amdmit he thought cancer straight away. Unfortunately the CT and I imagine the MRI show the the cancer had also left the prostate and is in areas around the prostate itself.  So a diagnosis of advanced prostate cancer.

I have started on the life long hormone therapy and await the appointment with the oncologist to see what can be done to hold things back.  Emotionally it has been a rollercoaster of course.  The aim for me now  is to squeeze as many years as possible out to life, so long as they are with good quality.  I am fit, active and have been keeping that way.  The worst symptom I have at this moment apart from the the lack of sleep due to being up at toilet is a slightly  swollen left ankle.  Otherwise I am ok.  

For anyone else in my position I hope you can stay strong and positive.