New here husband psa over 200

• 3 replies
  • 154 subscribers

Hi all my lovely very fit 56 year old husband has been feeling unwell since February he has had very frequent urination especially at night , discomfort when passing urine , some ED and constant back and hip pain , our GP was dismissive to start with but about a month ago ran some bloods that included psa . The following day after bloods were taken she called him to say his psa was very high at over 200 and she was referring him on 2 week cancer pathway .

he went on Friday of last week to see urology/oncology at our local hospital ( Maidstone hospital ) they did a rectal examination which was abnormal and without any further tests told him there and then they were sure it was cancer and he is now to have biopsies, bone scan and mri within 2 weeks ! 
obviously we are devastated and are very worried that it’s already in his bones due to his back and hip pain , he’s a keen long distance runner and has been told to not run until he knows more .

The same hospital really let my mum down a few years ago when she had uterine cancer which sadly killed her so we’d like to get a 2nd opinion when he knows his exact diagnosis and have heard great things about the Royal Marsden hospital - how easy is it to get referred there and would referral be done by GP or hospital?

Any tips or advice on how to deal with this for my lovely husband and myself and our beautiful 3 children ( youngest 14) would be greatly appreciated we are a very close family are are all heartbroken x

• Suzygal,

Try not to think too far into the future.  Day by Day's the best way to tackle this.

I was diagnosed exactly 1 year ago, my head was all over the place.

Best piece of advice I had was not to think past my next appointment and to concentrate on today.

It is hard.  Sounds like your husband will rely on you to be strong for him.  My partner was there and she still is.

I had the Hormones and Radiotherapy option (don't regret that decision at all).  After my month or Radiation sessions ended I had counselling up until April (through a charity in Newcastle called 'Coping with Cancer').

Have a look where you live, there might be something there.

The whole experience made me stronger mentally.

Best of luck, you are not alone.  Loads of good men in this forum, always someone else who can offer advice through their own experiences.

Steve (SteveCam)

• hi Suzy,, sorry to hear ,

I would wait for the results before deciding on a 2nd opinion. When u are armed with those u can look elsewhere if you are not happy with your present hospital , you've outlined the reasons.

But rather than go for a second opinion just change hospitals, you can do this by asking your GP for a referral to another hospital, I changed twice.

I went to Royal Marsden but not that impressed, won't go into reasons, however I have read good reviews as well. there are quite a few good cancer centres in London, another being UCLH hospital.

Fingers crossed not as bad as u think, back and hip problems are common and could be due to something else.

keep us posted

best wishes

Steve

• Hi Suzygal

I’m got diagnosed last May , 58 years old and fairly fit ,( mind you no running like your hubby) . My PSA came back 203 , firstly the shock then I started to Google and I thought it’s gone everywhere, very glad to say it hadn’t reached my bones , like your husband I had pain in my lower back, waiting to find out exactly what’s going on is hard, 

I like Steve, went to the RM for my RT and found that they were good but no better than other hospitals I have been to .

I wish you and your family all the luck for the future 

Tony