What option should my husband choose.

• 15 replies
  • 156 subscribers

Hi. New on here. My husband recently diagnosed. Gleason 9. PSA 6.6. What to do? Based on your experience would you have robotic prostatectomy with radiotherapy follow up or go straight for the hormone therapy/radiotherapy. Would have the op in 6/7 weeks privately or start ht now. Told it’s T3 with histology showing perineural invasion. It’s aggressive. No symptoms at all. He’s a healthy 65 years old. No underlying.  Experts can’t agree what route to go down. Doctor says outcome is similar either way. It’s up to my husband now. Anyone similar? Thanks guys.

• Hi, This is a difficult question to answer.  I can only state factually what happened to me.  I decided to have a radical Op. Its fair to say having never been in hospital before I was very worried about everything.  The op was a success. The catheter was uncomfortable but not painful.  Its a great day when it comes out. My nerve damage was sparred. I wore tena pads initially but as my confidence grew I wore smaller and smaller pads. After 3-4 weeks went solo.  I do not have incontinence and dont actually think about it any longer.   All parts are in working order.  Good luck with your treatment. I hope you found this useful.

• HI honey

The only thing  I would say is that with a T3, where the cancer has escaped the gland, he may be better off with HT and RT.

With surgery they could miss minute areas with the tumour present. One good thing about the surgery option though, can still have RT after surgery butt very difficult the other way round.

Hope all goes well with whatever u choose

Steve

• Hi  Martinlaaa. What was your Gleeson score and your PSA before your op.

• Hi GUP sorry for late reply and thank you. Was your Gleason a 9? Also, my husband experiencing off and on discomfort in perineum area. If he could have the surgery this week and not wait another six weeks, the decision would be easy. He’s just been offered the bicalutamide to halt testosterone but a psmapet scan has now been suggested to see if in lymph nodes and if so then would go for rt and not surgery. Can’t go on bicalutamide until after pet scan so more delay and indecision. A different surgeon has today said the outer gland is fluffy by the tumour and we’ve seen on the mri how near it is to the rectum. It sits on it and is still contained for now. Decisions, decisions.

• I’m glad it turned out well. That’s reassuring. Thanks.