Prostate and Zytiga

• 4 replies
  • 157 subscribers

My husband has been given the option of going on Zytega to supplement  his hormone implants.. Has anyone been on this and experienced side effects?

• Hi

This is one of the new drugs, very good at attacking the cancer, I nearly took it myself but went with enzalutamide a simuler drug not as harsh, ( I have diabetes and a heart murmur ) it does come with side effects as all medication does, but if he can get over the early stages he should be as good as he can be.

These are some of the side effects, remember everyone is different and is affected differently.

• Feeling very tired.
    • Joint pain.
    • High blood pressure.
    • Nausea.
    • Swelling in your legs or feet.
    • Low blood potassium levels.
    • Hot flushes.
    • Diarrhea.

Stay safe

Joe

• Hi AnnieP13,  I have been on Abiraterone (Zytiga) for 17 months now and also get a Prostap hormone injection every 3 months. I do have a few side effects like high blood pressure, weight gain, occasional hot flushes, fatigue, low libido and breathlessness. When I started my PSA dropped from 86 to undetectable in a couple of months and has stayed there. The high blood pressure is controlled well with medication, hot flushes only last about 2 minutes and all the other side effects I just get on with it. My consultant told me I would be on Zytiga until it stops working so I`m happy with that as it is working really well for me. Yes, the side effects are frustrating sometimes but I feel in a good place at the moment because of Zytiga and long may it continue.

I`m sure your husband will make the correct decision regarding his treatment but remember we are all different and not all medications are the right ones for some people. I wish you both well especially your husband regardless of which treatment path he decides to take.

Take care,  Tom

• Hi AnnieP13

I have been on Abiraterone (Zytiga) for 14 months. It is an exceptionally expensive drug and is normally only prescribed where the experts feel it will help in holding back the cancer.

There are potentially many side effects as mentioned by joeven and I have to say that when I read the leaflet, I wasn't really sure that I wanted to get involved. However, it was the only thing available to me due to the very aggressive nature of my cancer. I am so pleased that I took the plunge as I really haven't suffered from any significant problems other than raised blood pressure (which I had anyway) and swelling in the legs, both of which are manageable.

No doubt your husband is already affected by some of  these side effects as most hormone treatments, in my experience, cause things like hot flushes, lack of energy, loss of libido etc.

The drug has to be taken with steroid tablets (in my case Prednisolone) which help to minimize the impact of the side effects although they do have a tendency to make you put on weight, so careful monitoring of your Husband's diet will be important.

I hope these comments will be of some help to you in making your decision.

Very best wishes,

Andy100

• What medication are you using to control the blood pressure my primary care physician can't figure it out sadly