PSA checks after Robotic removal of prostate

• 3 replies
  • 153 subscribers

I had my Prostate removed, at the Christies Hospital, nearly two years ago.  Prior to that I was already using Intermittent Self Catheterisation.  I was told, when having my indwelling catheter removed, that I would need to have my bloods done every six months for the next three years.  If I had very low or zero counts on my PSA then after three years I would be discharged, regarded as cured.

Trouble is Covid reared it's ugly head and I have only had one blood test, at Urology Salford Royal since then.  In have had one other blood test done, at my own request, at my GP surgery.  Unfortunately my GP is in Bolton and Bolton health services computers do not talk to Manchester's computers.  I just worry about what if ?  Am I silly to be scared or will everything work itself out?  I am 71, and have been left with strictures at my bladder neck.  I have been back, under general anaesthetic twice now for a flexible cystoscopy and dilation to fix this.  The second time they even made two incisions.  Trouble is it is closing down again, I am now struggling to get a size 8 catheter into my bladder, leaving pain and discomfort.  I have been in touch with the nurses at the Urology department and they are brilliant and do their best, but they do not have the power to make treatment suggestions.  Do I need to concern myself and keep trying to get hold of Mr Elliot, my Urology Consultant or like nearly everybody else just sit back and wait for everything to get back to normal, whatever that is.

• Hi Des, you should still be getting regular PSA blood tests so I would be asking for this to be done. It’s important to monitor PSA after prostatectomy. Best wishes, 

Ido4

• Hi Des , yes you should still be getting blood test for psa checks.  Tell the surgery of the importance of regular checks to monitor cancer , they sometimes need a shake too !

• Your PSA checks are important, and well worth chasing up. It doesn't matter where they happen - GP/Hospital -  but it is best to stick to one (the one that works!) as they might use different labs, and machines often produce slightly different results, which can lead you to worry unnecessarily. Either way, be sure to ask your consultant what level you should be looking at, and if you get a worrying rise, get the test repeated (it's not the world's best test, though it's the best we've got, and lots of things can affect the result).

- - -

Heinous

If I can't beat this, I'm going for the draw.

Meanwhile, my priority is to live while I have the option.