Hello

• 17 replies
  • 155 subscribers

After a routine blood test at the end of March 2021 I was referred to my local hospital with a PSA of 79.39. Since then I’ve had 2 MRI scans, a bone scan & a PET scan. I’ve also had a biopsy under general anesthetic. My Gleason scale is 4+3=7 T3B. I’m now just waiting for them to discuss my latest MRI scan which was done last week My CNS has been keeping informed throughout either by phone or email. Just waiting to find out the next step

• Hi

The weight can yo-yo, with some people it never changes, the only thing is that fatigue may set in, it’s common with HT so your walks may get a little shorter over time. Nothing to worry about just part and parcel of the treatment.

Stay safe

Joe

• Hi Seamus,

Thank you for this. I haven’t started treatment yet. I have another telephone consultation this Friday (I think this is my last before commencing treatment). I know that my CNS said I can call her any time but I’m finding forum really helpful. As I’ve never been in hospital in my life apart from recently when I had my biopsy done under General. I’ve never broken a bone so as my surgeon says I’m a healthy 66 year old. I know this Covid thing is helping but I’ve never seen anyone from my team apart from the original consultation in April. I’ve seen more radiographers than anyone else. I suppose the good thing is that nobody’s ever said how long I’ve got left to live. So I’m taking it that this isn’t a fast moving cancer. On the sleep side I don’t have a goodnights at the moment. This could be because I wake up to go to the toilet but also anxious of what’s going to happen. I suppose once I start my treatment I can get things into some sort of routine. I’m just glad that I’m retired & do not have to worry about work issues. Along with the state pension I do have a good private work pension so do not have financial problems. I can’t wait till Friday.  

• Spoke to my Oncologist this afternoon. He is putting a plan of action in place which should start the end of next week. Starting with taking a hormone tablet a day for a month. Then a hormone injection, one every 3 months for 3 years. At the beginning of the new year I will start 37 sessions of radiotherapy. 

• Hi Seamus

So glad I read your post as I'm experiencing the Type 2 diabetes problem you mentioned. For the last 9 months,  I have been following, pretty much every piece of advice given,  to get it under control - but the sugar levels have still risen. The GP was not aware of the link ( he was a trainee) and put me on more drugs. I did some research and came up with what you have said. Having another chat with my usual GP next week to discuss , but you coming up with the same conclusion as I did is great!

I have , also,  gained weight over the 18 months on Prostap, and finding it difficult to shift. Hopefully this will change next year.

Regards

Stuart

Trying to get fit again!
  • Hi Scampidoodle

Just read your post, I’ve been type 2 for nearly a year now my doctor put me on metformin, my sugars have come down, but I’am still tested blood wise every three months along with other things, just to keep things in line me being incurable PC.

If your not on that drug, just ask your doctor about it, I saw a diabetes nurse who then prescribed the medication.

Stay safe

Joe

• Hi Joe

Many thanks Metaformin is what the GP put me on but didn't or couldn't make the link to Prostap.

Regards

Stuart

Trying to get fit again!
  • I have avoided medication for the time being as it has to be reported to the DVLA, even for type 2. I have been following a strict low carb / zero sugar diet for a couple of months and have come down from 85.5kg to 80.5kg! My target is 80 kg by the equinox which is only four days away so I still have some work to do.

I don't get another blood sugar test for four months so I'm working blind but I hope it's having an effect because it's pretty boring!

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery and today is a gift.
    Seamus
    (See my profile for more)