8 years on arbiraterone and prednisolone

• 7 replies
  • 155 subscribers

Hello I’m new to this group but not to cancer. My story stared over 8 years ago at the age of 69. Diagnosed with a psa of 205 and a Gleason score of 9 with spread to lower back a rib and seminal gland. I was offered a place on the stampede trial. I accepted and was randomly selected for the Arbraterone and prednisolone leg, together with the standard zolodex then prostap injection. Apart from the usual of side effects I’ve done pretty well. However over the last year or I’m increasingly suffering from under skin bleeding on my arms, the slightest knock and a purple bleed mark appears. I’m guessing that’s due to long term affect of the pred. My question is does anyone else in the group suffer a similar thing. It’s not painful but a bit concerning about where it might lead to. 
Thanks for having me in the group.

• Hi

Glad to have you in the group, personally not heard of anyone with this, what has your doctor or oncologist said about this ? Would be interested to read what they said.

Stay safe

Joe

• Not mentioned it yet, bit concerned they might take me of trial. This is why I’m asking on here first.

• Conceivably it's linked to the prednisolone, but it might be something else entirely. It certainly isn't a common side effect of pred.

The golden rule is that when you see blood where it shouldn't be, see a doctor. I think it's only fair to yourself and the trial that you get this investigated.

Good Luck!

- - -

Heinous

If I can't beat this, I'm going for the draw.

Meanwhile, my priority is to live while I have the option.

• Hi Lucky10, I've had a few of these on my arms and I'm on the same medication as yourself. Nothing particularly big. maybe 1cm across. They go away as mysteriously as they appear.

• Hi lucky10

my father has just started on the same medication as you are on with a psa300+ Gleason 9 and spread lumbar spine with RT and others not treating. Only 2 weeks and PSA dropped to 135 less than a week since one and only RT

But major thing is pain relief has been anazing - I didn’t even realise you could be on this medication long term so thank you for your post 

• Hi Chandon bruises on my arm usually occur after a slight knock fade away after a few days. No pain at all

• Hi SJ1963 My psa dropped steadily over about 4 weeks before reaching base level,less than. Best of luck pleased to hear pain is so reduced.