Another newbie saying hello

• 2 replies
  • 152 subscribers

Hi everyone, 

This is a bit like being the new kid at school, which is a weird experience at 59.  Just retired after 38 years at sea, looking forward to so many things and BAM.. the sky fell in. 

Currently still in the poking and prodding stage, which I'm certain needs no description to all those who have been there before me.  Urologist has no doubts after the MRI and DRE, combined with a PSA of 38, so I'm not kidding myself here, but am waiting for the results of biopsy and CT before seeing the oncologist for treatment plan. 

Early indications are that the little devils have spread a bit into the nearby lymph nodes, with a couple of escapees getting close to the femoral artery and bowel region.  On the plus side, the bone scan came up empty.  

From the bits and bobs I've read on here and other places, I gather that I'm in for a course of radiotherapy and HT and can look forward to joining the wife on her menopause journey.  Can hardly wait!  

Any advice would be warmly appreciated...  I gather Evening Primrose, Sage Leaf and squeezing the ink out of the local cuttlefish are all good for controlling the HT side-effects.  Lucky I kept the scuba gear handy, then.  

Seadog

• And, as we say to all "new kids", I'm sorry you have had to come here but welcome to the forum. I'm a great proponent of the "natural" treatments for the side effects of HT although diving for my own Cuttlefish does seem a bit extreme at 73!

The most important thing at this stage is to get yourself as much information as you can and the best place to start is the Prostate Cancer UK website and download the Prostate Cancer Toolkit shop.prostatecanceruk.org/our-publications 

Good luck on you treatment journey and be sure to keep in touch here.

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery and today is a gift.
    Seamus
    (See my profile for more)
  • Good luck with finding relief from hot flush hell caused by HT side effects. And (if only) your cuttlefish ink provides the answer please patent it and give us all lasting relief!