Hormone Therapy or Chemo

• 10 replies
  • 154 subscribers

Hello everyone.

My husband has recently been diagnosed with advanced PC. He has a gleason score of 8 (4+4) and his PSA is199. It has spread to his bone in his pelvis. He is fit and it is hard to think that there is anything wrong.

He has had 2 months of hormone tablets and his first hormone injection, his next one is in 6 months. He saw the Oncologist last week, and his options for further  treatment are Hormone Therapy or Chemotherapy. He was given information on both treatments, but all it seems to be is a long list of side effects. My husband is thinking Chemo is the way to go. At this moment though, we feel we don't have enough information.

Any thoughts would be very welcome.

• Hi

Sorry for what you are both going through, I have gone through both and still on hormone therapy for life I’am a stage 4 Gleason 9/10. Chemo is the best way to go, as long as he has no ailments it kills the cancer and prolongs life. Yes there are side effects believe me I had most of them, not sugar coating anything they can be nasty at least for the first two three sessions then you kind of get used to it.

• Hello Joeven.

Thank you for your reply.

It is hard to think that at the moment my husband looks and seems fine, but as soon as he starts Chemo he will become ill.

How many rounds of Chemo did you have? The Onco suggested 4 rounds, but is that to start with? 

What was your PSA level? And was it reduced by the Chemo?

My husband does have some questions for the Oncologist when he gets to speak with him.

• Hi 

Cute name by the way. I had six rounds of chemo, like I say it hit me like a tornado, but everyone is different and what is bad for one is not so bad for another.

My PSA was 893, which was brought down with hormone therapy so I was able to be given chemo, after that it was twenty sessions of radiotherapy and of course hormone therapy, now nearly five years on I’ve just started taking enzalutamide for the last six months, sends me a bit whacky, but I will do whatever it takes to be here a few more years hopefully.

The other thing is I know you will worry and stress out it’s very common my wife still worries about me walking up stairs, if you need someone to talk to, we are always around or try a Maggies centre they are excellent. Never be afraid to ask questions and make sure you get an answer.

Stay safe 

Joe

• Thanks Joe.

The name comes from us liking the Champagne Bar on the cruises we have been on!

We realise that every person will react differently to the same treatments. He hasn't had any reaction to the Hormone tablets or the Injection, well so far.

He is leaning towards Chemo, at the moment. Thank you for taking the time to answer my questions.

Shirley.

• Hi Champagnebarfly

Please feel free to read my profile.

Lots of knowledge and advise on this site.

I have Locally Advanced Prostate Cancer.

Gleason 9

Treatable not curable.

Cancer broken out and spread to my lymph nodes deep in my pelvis. 

I am on Prostap hormone injection each month.

Started Prostap on 1st September 2020

My PSA is now undetectable.

I was originally going to be having hormone injection band Radiotherapy,however the oncologist stuck chemotherapy in for good measure.

I just got told what treatment I was having.

I see the oncologist in three weeks and am due to start my Radiotherapy soon after.

I finished my Chemotherapy almost five weeks ago ( 6 cycles )

At first I was really fatigued after the final cycle as they get cumulatively harder as they go on.

I am now getting more energy back by the day and last week did two walks with my wife and the dogs.

( 4.5 and 5 miles )

I kept in a positive mind set all the way through and this has helped.

But admitdly had the odd cry, it helps to not build things up.

I hope your journey kind to you both.

Always here to chat.

Spud 

" You don't know how Strong you are,

Until being Strong is your only choice"

Bob Marley

• Hi Spud.

Thank you for reply.

At the moment my husband is very positive, he always is, maybe the opposite to me.

His PC has spread to his bones but not to his lymph nodes.

It is good that you were told what treatment you are getting, I think we would prefer that, but the Oncologist gave my husband a choice and a long list of side effects for both treatments. Not happy reading. I think he will be getting his first treatment in the next 4 weeks.

I am glad that you seem to be getting your energy back now. That is one of the hardest things to get my head around, that within a few weeks my husband will be ill, when at the moment he seems fine, even though we know he isn't. I guess the thing we have to do is take each day as it comes.

• Hi C 

Chemo is normally given short term and hormone therapy for the long term, potentially for years.

Def worth having the Chemo, latest Chemo much better than previous with potentially less side effects.

If it's in the bones then prob hormone therapy as well.

All the best 

Steve

• Hi Steve,

It is encouraging you saying Chemo is the way forward, and the latest Chemo is better.

Yes, my husband is on Hormone Therapy, for now it is 6 monthly injections, his next one is booked in for November.

C

• Champagnebarfly  

I think your correct in saying "take each day as it comes"

I tend to think of three things that I'm grateful for when I wake up 

( they can be different each day )

I try to do things I really need to do in the first part of the day while I have the energy.

However if I am fatigued I rest until I can carry on with things.

But I am learning to leave things till the next day if I have to do.

I use mindfulness and meditation to relax and permanently have a jig saw on the go all to take my mind of overthinking at times.

Any form of escapism helps relax me.

I wish you both well,always here to chat to either of you.

Stay safe and take care.

Spud 

"You don't know how Strong you are,

until being Strong is your only choice"

Bob Marley

• Hello again,

My husband has now given his choice of treatment, Chemotherapy, to the Oncologist, and he had a look around the unit yesterday. It is at our local Hospital, which is a bonus. He starts the 1st round of 6 in 2 weeks time.

He is fairly relaxed about it at the moment, and coincidentally has been doing a jigsaw 3000 pieces, with our son. They have other ones to do, so it could be a good distraction.

Did anyone use the cold cap?

Shirley