Starting treatment

• 8 replies
  • 111 subscribers

Good morning.

Had my Spaceoar treatment on Monday, if the rest of my journey is as comfortable as that, I’ll be a happy man.  Done under general anesthetic in the theater, no discomfort or lasting effects from the anesthetic.

I go for my radiation planning on the 19th.

I had the ADT injection just over 3 months ago, the side effects are manageable, but I could do without them.  As my ‘proper’ treatment approaches I’m starting to get a little nervous now, I think it’s going to be 20 sessions over 4 weeks, I’ll know for certain on Thursday.

I’ve been told my cancer is ‘pleasingly’ organ confined and hasn’t gone on tour, so I’m optimistic for a full cure. Everything should be over and done with by the end of October and it will just be the waiting for blood test results.

I’ve made major life style changes includinggoing vegan cutting out alcohol and started a ( light ) weight lifting regime, walking more every day, though the ADT does restrict me a little because of balance.

At 73 I’m aiming for another 10 years with a reasonable quality of life, I don’t think that’s a lot to expect, though I may have to give up my hobby of juggling with chain sawsBlush.

I’ll post again in October.

Best wishes everyoneThumbsup

• Hi  , that all sounds good so far.  Not sure what you know about the RT but it is all fairly straight forward once the planning session is out of the way.  Any questions, please ask away.  Best wishes, David

• Hi Peter R

Not long to go then until your RT starts & you will soon get into a routine of daily hospital visits & whilst the 4 weeks initially seems to be taking an age, it's surprising how quickly it actually passes by.

I would love to have seen you juggling with chain saws, but if you are giving up that sport, how's about trying piranhas instead (much smaller to handle)?  I'm sure Britain's Got Talent  would be interested.

All the best for your treatment

Brian

• Hello  

Well you look like you have got everything sorted!!  The 20 Fractions on "The Sunbed" are easy - the hardest part is getting to and from the hospital. 

Whilst I appreciate your lifestyle changes and applaud you for it, yes exercise is good for you (ADT and Radiotherapy does take it out of you at "our" age) you can still enjoy some of the "finer" things in life.

Perhaps juggling with chainsaws is not the best idea idea with issues with balance - I am only 68 but I have had to give up riding my bike as I kept falling off (whilst sober I should add!!),

I wish you well with your Radiotherapy - please let us know how you get on.

Best wishes - Brian.

Community Champion badge

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Strength, Courage, Faith, Hope, Defiance, VICTORY.

I am a Macmillan volunteer.

• Many thanks for that David. I’ll update about planning this Friday.  Best wishes.

• Many thanks for the reply.  The positive replies that I’ve received increase my optimism for the future, I’m very grateful that people take the time to help.  I’ll update after my planning on Thursday .  Best wishes.

• Many thanks for the reply Brian.  I’m fortunate that the hospital where I’ll be getting my RT is only 5 miles away through light traffic, it also has on site parking.

on the RT free weekends I intend to enjoy some of the finer things, still happily married with children and Grand children.

Again, many thanks for the reply, I’ll keep posting about my progress.  Best wishes.

• Hmmm, ever considered the issue is that you are sober when riding a bike? Laughing  Could always get some stabilisers fitted, or Mrs Millibob could join you on a tandem.

• Ah well!! I will stick to driving, walking, the bus or the tram.

However don't laugh, I was at an airshow yesterday where the RAF Falcons Parachute Display team dropped in. As I took a video on my mobile telephone looking up to the sky I set off vertical but 10 seconds later I was horizontal on the ground. I just leaned back and bang - gone!! As luck had it I landed on soft grass no damage done apart from my pride. My children (adults) and Grandchild thought it was funny!! Rolling eyes.

I only said to Mrs Millibob last week too - I feel really well and am loving life!!

I think I need to slow down and watch what I am doing!!

Best wishes - Brian.

(oh - I did suggest a trike but that got shot down!!)

Community Champion badge

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Strength, Courage, Faith, Hope, Defiance, VICTORY.

I am a Macmillan volunteer.