Should I go for Radical Prostatectomy.

• 1 reply
  • 104 subscribers

Hi Peeps,

When I was diagnosed I was offered Radical Prostatectomy or Hormone Replacement Treatment with a combination of Radio Therapy. 

I favoured Radical Prostatectomy, my Father in Law had passed away with Prostate Cancer and I just wanted to get rid of it. But there are trade offs that I had to weigh up when making the decision. Basically Incontinence and Erectile Dysfunction. I collected as much information as possible before making the decision and I just wanted to point out that although the worst thing you can do is consult Dr Google, I did find some very informative videos on Youtube that may help and I have posted links below.

A Touchy Subject. A down to earth series of videos discussing in detail the effects of a Prostatectomy and Penile Rehabilitation 

https://www.youtube.com/@ATouchySubject

An American Chap who videoed his experience at different timescales after surgery. I found his 6 day post op blog very informative and his review of Incontinence productsRoflRofl

https://www.youtube.com/@drummeruss

I found that although all the health proffesionals were fantastic on my journey, educating yourself as much as possible is must. It can put you back in control of what's going on if you can talk knowledgable to people.

Cheers for now,

Psticks 

• Hello  

Thanks for the post - it's an interesting subject - even for me who is still the proud owner of his Prostate (less the bits shaved off in the TURP operation and the bits donated for the biopsy).

Whilst I also tell people to avoid Dr Google there is some great stuff there. The one thing I do know is that there will never be an answer to the question Prostatectomy or HT/RT - it's very much a personal choice.

Best wishes - Brian.

Community Champion badge

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Strength, Courage, Faith, Hope, Defiance, VICTORY.

I am a Macmillan volunteer.