Joint pain whilst on HT.

• 4 replies
  • 104 subscribers

I am becoming more aware of numerous joints becoming painful. They are in no particular order, feet, knees, knuckles (especially my thumbs) and lower spine. Has anyone any knowledge of the possibility of this being a result of the HT and if so is there any help available to alleviate the problem? 

I am eight months into HT and on Prostap3, my RT is due to begin at the end of July when I return from holiday. My profile shows my timeline through from first PSA test.

• Hello  

There is a possibility any muscle ache or joint pain can be caused by the Hormone therapy. This happens as you start to lose testosterone and you start to lose your muscle strength.

My GP has referred me to "fat club" (er sorry "Weight Management") where the weekly exercises include working with resistance bands. This helps to keep the joints moving and to lose some of the excess weight HT has "gifted to me" As a Community member said last year "Prostate Cancer - the gift that keeps giving!!".

My first call was to my GP and he sorted it out for me and the weight management course is free where I live and actually quite an enjoyable morning out. i would have a word with your GP.

Best wishes - Brian.

Community Champion badge

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Strength, Courage, Faith, Hope, Defiance, VICTORY.

I am a Macmillan volunteer.

• Hi Brian,

Thanks very much for that informative reply. I will try my GP and see what they have to offer but it will be after the bank holiday weekend as I'm too busy until then. I'm delivering a vehicle to South Wales tomorrow and managing a motor event display on Sunday.

I have gained a bit of weight, but only half a stone at the most. Apart from the joint pain I haven't noticed any significant muscle weakening. I consider myself fairly fit and agile for a seventy five year old and am quite happy working under my new motorhome fitting an Eberspacher (diesel blown air heater) and its ducting. Although the thumb joint problem does make me drop nuts & bolts occasionally!

Regards  -  Rod

• This seems to be quite a common side effect - I don't remember having it but already had aches and pains in joints so just didn't notice that there was more maybe.  Slight smile  I kept going to the gym and exercising at least 4 times a week all the way through my HT and Radiotherapy (RT).  I am pretty sure that this helped me only put on 5lbs (though all of that was around the middle) and kept me fit and stopped me from losing too much muscle whilst on HT.  In my mid 70's I knew it was going to be hard to regain any muscle loss and now at 80 it's all going south anyway!  Still it could be worse.

All the best.

• Thanks for the comments  , it seems to bare out my suspicions. Time to go to the gym would be nice but at present there are too many other things to occupy my time. A very nice 200 mile drive in two different vehicles has been great for me today as both myself and my wife love driving almost anything anywhere! My wife got in more miles in than I did unfortunately!

Best wishes,

Rod