Nocturnal peeing

• 7 replies
  • 105 subscribers

Hi guy's, just wanted some feedback here if possible.

I'm 6 weeks post prostatectomy today and generally doing pretty well I'm lucky enough to say. One thing that I've experienced is a regular urge to pee. This feels more pronounced during the night with visits to toilet usually 2 or 3 times a night which surprises me as there is no longer prostate pressure on the bladder.  I'm doing my pelvic floor exercises religiously. Anyone with similar experience or thoughts...

Thanks 

BM

• 3 weeks post robotic prostatectomy.  Night peeing 3/4 times during night. Trying to limit fluid intake after 6pm. Happier to be going to the loo rather than less pleasant alternatives.  Other people have reported less frequent toilet trips  over time. Whole urinary system resetting is my amateur take on it. Best wishes for your recovery. S 

• Hi  Barnman removing your prostate usually means losing 2 of your 3 sphincters  and the one that remains has had very little to do, acting more like a spare as a result it has lost a lot of muscle tone while at the same time the bladder walls thicken and increase muscle tone. As you are only going to the loo a couple of times a night this shows your pelvic floor exercises are working, If you add voiding, "trying to not not pee when you get the urge" this should help, it will take time and you will not be able to hold on for long to start with, if you ban do it in the bathroom it will give you confidence to try harder, best wishes.

Eddie

• Thanks Eddie that makes sense and I'll try your tip. Also probably explains why opening bowel seems like harder work. Cheers BM 

• 5 weeks 2 days after Prostatectomy. Get the urge to p 2 to 3 times a night which wakes me up. Collating as much info as possible, I think full bladder control is a long haul project but does differ from person to person. Do you use the NHS Squeezie app? I was doing the exercise but realised with the help of the app that Iwasnt holding the squeeze for anything like long enough. Would recommend itThumbsup 

• Hi Barnman. I am 28 months post surgery. It took a few months, but I go all night without getting up to pee. The exercises do help.

I have not seen anyone make a comment like yours about the bowels before. But that was the case for me as well. It seems that my ability to "push" wasn't as strong. That issue resolved in a few months and everything seems normal now. I hope things go the same for you.

• Hi Psticks yes using the Squeezy app also doing yoga style bridge's. I'm also trying to reduce the amount that I drink in the evening.

Best regards 

BM

• Thanks Stampede, yes I guess it's all going to take a while to settle down. I think that the "urge to push" is as Eddie mentioned the loss or change to sphincter and gastrointestinal link ups.

All the best 

BM