Backache after radiotherapy

• 3 replies
  • 110 subscribers

Hi. Has anybody experienced really bad lower back pain after completing radiotherapy treatment. I finished mine at the end of December last year and have recently started getting really bad lower back pain. Also started getting pain in legs, feeling like they’re swollen but they’re not. Skin also feels very tight on legs. Can’t sleep on my side at night because my legs start to throb. A lot of symptoms here but if any of them are similar to yours, please shout up.

• Hello Geeforce.

It sounds as if you may have lymphoedema in the legs, although this is normally associated with some leg swelling as well - have they gone pink? The lymph system gets rid of the rubbish created as the radiotherapy continues to work and sometimes has difficulty clearing it out fast enough, causing a buildup of fluid. As a precaution I would report it to your doctor but the information given to my husband was to keep the legs elevated when sitting down, but it is still important to keep mobile. He also massages them twice a day with a moisturizer. For the pain he was told to take over the counter painkillers. My husband swears by his osteopath who is trained in lymphatic drainage as well as massage - the pain causes the muscles to tense which then press on the nerves creating more pain so exercises help to break the cycle. For night time try putting a pillow under your knees if lying on your back, or between them if you lie on your side.

• Hi. Thanks for that. I managed to come across lymphoedema when searching for my symptoms and it does sound very like it.

• I developed lymphoedema after a prostatectomy and radiotherapy. I now wear compression stockings to manage the condition.

Ask your medical team if they can refer you to a local lymphoedema service for assessment. (Unfortunately, lymphoedema services vary greatly in availability in different parts of the country.) You could also contact the Lymphoedema Support Network (https://www.lymphoedema.org/) for information.

Radiotherapy for prostate cancer can have a wide range of side effects, and sometimes they don't appear for a very long time.

best of luck

Angus