Cryo-ablation update

• 4 replies
  • 111 subscribers

This is a follow up to my recent post "Lots going on.."

I thought you'd be interested in what happened with the cryo-ablation procedure I had at University College hospital in central London last week (UCLH) in their Interventional Oncology service. This was to treat a tumour in my L3 vertebra (lower spine) ('oligometastatic prostate cancer").

The procedure was done under general anaesthetic, and I was actually in a CT machine during the image guided procedure. I was under the anaesthetic for about 2 hours. Probes were inserted through my back to the tumour site which was then frozen to destroy it. 

As this was more like a large injection than a surgical incision, I experienced very little discomfort after the procedure, and I was kept in hospital for one night for observation. The doctor who performed the procedure said everything went according to plan. Let's hope it's got rid of the tumour completely.

I have to say that everyone at UCLH was really lovely. The Interventional Oncology doctors and CNSs were especially good at explaining everything and making sure I understood what was going on. That does make a tremendous difference.

I now have a bit of a break from treatment for 2 weeks, and then I'll have some SABR radiotherapy for two more tumours on my ribs. Oh joy!

Regards,

Angus

• Hi angusP2, thank you for the update and sharing your experiences with the forum, Sounds like you have a wonderful team looking after you and treatment is going well, best of luck with your remaining treatment and hope it all goes well for you, take care.

Eddie

• Angus

That's amazing and thank you for the update - I hope your progress continues - you are doing so well with your treatment.

Best wishes - Brian.

Community Champion badge

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Strength, Courage, Faith, Hope, Defiance, VICTORY.

I am a Macmillan volunteer.

• Brilliant News.  Take it easy and good luck for the future treatments.

• Thanks for all the good wishes. This part of my treatment did go well, and was much easier than expected. I am however still suffering the consequences of the operation I had on my bladder a month ago, which has made my urinary incontinence problem a lot worse. Thank goodness for "Tena Men"!!

(The bladder operation was to deal with bleeding in my urine, which was apparently caused by a narrowing of the neck of the bladder caused by the pelvic radiotherapy I had four years ago, a "consequence of treatment" (a so-called "late effect"). So the current incontinence problem is a "consequence of treatment of a consequence of treatment"!!!)