Back to activities

• 7 replies
  • 105 subscribers

Hi I have done my prostate surgery since 11 weeks now.Just want to know if I can start doing more activities like running  cycling,football and tennis.The doctor who,s done my surgery said it's too early in my last time appointment 3 weeks ago.My incontinence is still there but I feel fit to undertake any of these sport I,ve mentioned above.I am just doing daily walking which is quite boring now.Any suggestion please.Should I start my training by my own judgement or wait.

• Eleven weeks post surgery - it's time to work on getting back to normal. Yes, use your judgment.  Listen to your body. Pain in the abdominal muscles usually eases in a few weeks. If you still have pain go easy on lifting and other activities that causes pain in this area. Your risk of hernias is much higher in the weeks after a prostatectomy.  In fact, you should be concerned about hernias for many months.

If you don't have any pain, most normal activities should be fine. Again, if it causes pain, back off. Wouldn't recommend football even if you were talking about soccer.

• Hi there, like yourself Yousouf i can't wait to active again but i'm only a week post surgery so realise that i have several more weeks of walking only recovery. My surgeon advised on between 2 to 3 months for internal healing then gradually getting back into my previous sports and fitness regimes. Can I ask what level of incontinence that you have? 

Many thanks 

Barnman 

• Quick update here. Had my 4 week update with consultant today at Maidstone hospital. Very pleased to say that all is looking good with no other spread and all cancer removed with the prostatectomy.  Next up is PSA test in a couple of weeks which will hopefully be very low and remain there. I say this not to gloat not to offer hope and positivity to everyone else in this situation. Also another challenge is to see what we can do about the ED issue and wean myself of the leakage pads. Any questions feel free to ask.

All the best BM

• Hi Barnman. I was wondering how you were doing as you are a few weeks ahead of me in the recovery phase - and suddenly you appear at the end of someone else’s thread :) Really pleased you are doing well and long may it continue. I’m still getting night sweats and remember you were getting these - have they gone now? I’m in reduced sized pads now but still producing the odd spurt for no reason especially when walking around. Is yours much better now? I don’t think I get a 4 week update so I’ll have to hope they got it all and find out at my 12 weeks PSA test in a couple of months. Very best of luck with your PSA test. Keep us posted.

• Thanks Amnesiac, I've just stopped wearing the compression socks today's so hoping that will with reducing the night sweats also changed to lighter duvet. I'm using Mens Tena 2 pads as have a little leakage but still doing my pelvic floors via the Squeezy app on phone, so that will help hopefully. Walking at least 90 mins a day and do some very light dumbell exercises. Next challenge will be to see if I can overcome the challenge that ED poses!

All the best 

BM

• Thanks for the info BM. Interesting that like me you still get the night sweats. Tried without the compression socks but made no difference. May give urology a quick call tomorrow. Impressed with your walking and dumbbells and hope to emulate (maybe not the dumbbells). ED is well down my list at the moment. I hope you’re not going too fast at this as it may set your recovery back. Massive well done on your progress so far. 

• Many thanks yes I need to reign myself in really. Best regards BM