Travel Insurance

• 21 replies
  • 117 subscribers

Has anybody a recommendation for multi trip (cruise)European  travel insurance. My husband is on watchful waiting for PC, he is an otherwise fit 82 year old and the cheapest quote I've had is £600 with Avanti. Staysure much more!  Any suggestions welcome

• Hello   A warm welcome to the Prostate Community - I am so sorry to find you here.

We have a "pad" in Turkey which is Asia so Mrs Millibob and I need worldwide insurance - Mrs Millibob has her own issues (medical I should add) and we did have to trawl the Insurance market to get cover. May I give you a few pointers:

* We have a dedicated forum Travel insurance forum for cancer patients . You can join this thread by clicking on the link I have provided - you will find some sound advice there.

* All insurance companies use the same algorhythms to quote for their policies. It's easier to ring the Companies and go through your conditions than fill in the online form.

* We have a European cruise "expert" on the forum and if I "tag"  to this post I am sure she will be happy to chat until the anchor goes down!

I hope this helps and you have a cracking holiday.

Best wishes - Brian.

Community Champion badge

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Strength, Courage, Faith, Hope, Defiance, VICTORY.

I am a Macmillan volunteer.

• Hello don't get me started on cruising I could talk forever. My husband has just had chemo for prostate cancer and the cheapest we could find was insure and go and it is £2,600 for an annual policy to Europe including cruise cover. The other company was all clear and they were slightly more. Just be careful of some of the cheaper companies as they will only insure for so many cruising days per year, one being 31 days and we needed more than this. Also check their coverage as we were amazed that they didn't cover Cyprus under their European policy. I am on count down to our cruise in 21 days. Good luck it is a minefield. If I can be off further help just message me on here or in a private message 

• Brian I have just read the bit about the anchor to my husband and he burst out laughing 

• Shar - As I have said all along - this cancer business is a serious matter - and to keep us "normal" if I can inject a little bit of humour into the journey and lighten up the day then we all feel great.

We already have the sunbed (radiotherapy) and walkabout (metastatic) now in common use throughout the forum and I think it helps to "de-cancerise" (I know it's not a word) something that is serious.

We also have another great plus on our forum - we have a great bunch, be it cancer patients, partners, wives and even friends and again, although we are dealing with a cancer that can and does kill - we respect it when we have to, and are all quick to play our part when people need help and advice in their darkest of days. Thanks for your continued support - all of you.

Kind Regards as ever - Brian x

Community Champion badge

• Hi to you all, love the "sunbed and walkabout" nicknames, I'll soon have both! I was diagnosed in 2018, have had chemo, currently am on on Zoladex and since the beginning of 2023 plus Bicalutamide. Radiotherapy is to start shortly. As for insurance, we are caravaners and have been and still are insured through them. My PC and the Missus bits are not covered but we're not expecting any trouble in the near future. The cost for 12 nights abroad is just £124. Cruising would no doubt cost a few quid more but they do insure them. Worth a quote if nothing else.

Good luck to you all and stay positive!

Keith

• Hello   A warm welcome to the club - so sorry you are about to use both “walkabout and sunbed”. I do hope the sunbed sorts out your issues- we are all here for you if you need anything.

Enjoy the holidays. Best wishes- Brian.

Community Champion badge

• Hello kejen and welcome. I personally would not travel if we didn't cover husbands prostrate cancer. We were told that if hubbie fell and broke something then we might not be covered as the cancer can cause brittle bones and then the insurance company could link the two and not pay out. Yes we pay alot £2,600 for an annual policy but I prefer peace of mind.

• hi madaboutmutts

I am going to get a quote from insurance with in April, they get good reviews on the web and offer cruise cover. No idea if they are good value but several folk up here have suggested tring them for our 35 day cruise next year
    Insurancewith
    was founded in 2007 when insurance professional Fiona Macrae was unable to find travel insurance at a reasonable price which also covered her cancer diagnosis. She founded Insurancewith with the aim of providing everyone with a medical condition with a fair and affordable travel insurance policy to cover their upcoming holidays.

• Thanks. They do seem the most reasonable at the moment. Agree we wouldn't travel abroad without PC covered. Insurance companies are very good at linking conditions!  Urine retention is a possibility and could prove costly on a cruise ship!!

• We have just been on a cruise in the Caribbean. We were told that just one appointment for a minor complaint costs £90. Don’t know whether that was hearsay or fact, though.