Prostatectomy Aftercare check ups.

• 4 replies
  • 112 subscribers

Hi all,

I was diagnosed with prostate cancer and after discussions with the consultant it was deemed that surgery was the best option to remove the prostate and have a full prostatectomy.

I had the surgery at the end of February and gad a follow up PSA test in April, that came back with a reading of 0.03 which was brilliant.

I then had a telephone call off one of the hospital Doctors discussing how I felt and how I was coping etc. Also they said that I would then have another PSA test in August/September and would gave 4 tests in the first year.

I then received Hospital letter stating this.

August/September came and went, no letter no telephone call no blood form arrived in the post.

Beggining of October I decided to phone the hospital and ask what I was supposed to do regarding my next PSA test. So they sent me a blood form in the post, I had the test early in October and have as yet had no results, no correspondence with either a phone call or a letter from the hospital.

Is this normal, its been nearly 4 weeks since my bloods were done, im feeling inclined to phone them for the results wondering if thus is the normal routine, they're just that busy and they'll get to me as and when ?

Any one else in the same boat as me ?

Thanks for reading, Neil

• Hi Neil . No , not good . I had my prostatectomy in France Feb 2022 , PSA every 3 months until May , now every 6 months . You must chase the results . My results back on internet after 6 hours over internet , mail after 2 days . 

I know it's hard to chase them but you deserve better . All well since prostatectomy , and sure you'll be fine , but this is ridiculous . Bill

• Hi SL

Does seem rather a long time, I would push for a result.

After my RT treatment I had regular PSA tests vis my GP with results back  after a couple of days 

So u could go down that route in the future to save all the waiting, obviously if the hospital agrees.

Anyway fingers crossed will be ok

Best wishes

Steve 

• Hi Neil

A warm welcome to our exclusive club.

My oncology department (I am on the HT/RT journey) has a "shared agreement" with my G P who undertakes my PSA tests.I pop into the surgery - have my bloods done and 24 hours later the results are on my NHS App - to be seen and reviewed by both the hospital and G P.

You can only do this with the App in England - but from my Geography lessons 50 years ago Silverdale (if indeed you are still there) is in England.

I would chase both the hospital and GP practice to see if they can make this work for you.

Best wishes - Brian.

Community Champion badge

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Strength, Courage, Faith, Hope, Defiance, VICTORY.

I am a Macmillan volunteer.

• Were they done at the hospital or at your GP surgery.  The hospital should also send the results to your GP so I would ring the hospital and see if you can get an answer from them and also try your GP as they ca also call the hospital and push for you to get the results.