Unusual question

• 7 replies
  • 110 subscribers

Hi

I’m currently 12/37 fractions into RT, having had a prostatectomy earlier in the year. (Following a PET scan they realised that there was still some cancer left, and being Ductal Adeno Carcinoma they were keen to see it off before it spread). 

So here’s my unusual question… I’ve experienced some pain in one of my legs while out walking. From the hip to the thigh, I’d say. While this might be completely unrelated, I’m just thinking that the RT probably goes through my hips at some point. Or does it switch off and only zap you when there’s an “uninterrupted view” of the target area? And has anyone else experienced this?

Thanks - I’m really grateful for this resource. 

• If you are receiving IMRT (Intensity Modulated RT) the dose is modulated (changed in intensity) as the machine rotates around your body. The beam may also be shaped to match the target. Your treatment will be designed to spare key parts of your anatomy and minimise side effects. However, there will be a small amount of radiation that's off target.

I've not heard of the symptoms you are experiencing but if you are concerned raise it with your radiotherapy team.

Rob

• Thanks Rob. That’s very helpful. Yes, I’ll talk to the RT team, and my GP I guess if they don’t think it’s connected to the RT. 

• Hi happypixel. i have a bad back, 2 compression fractures and  3 damaged discs, an old injury which never went away. slightly limiting but manageable with some pain occasionally, after my radiotherapy the pain got  much worse for about 8 weeks then settled down along with .most of the other side effects. Do you have tingling, numbness or loss of movement in the leg?.

• Hi

That’s interesting. I’d never heard of these sort of side effects before. Strange how the RT can affect other parts of the body like this. I’d say a little loss of movement in the leg and a kind of burning / pain when I walk - worse up hill. 

Hope you are all fully recovered now?

• Any symptoms should be taken straight to your radiotherapists at your next session.  Depending on what the symptom is and if they can deal they will either get something prescribed for you (as in the case of bowel or bladder issues or tender skin in the area of RT ) or refer you back to your GP or whoever.  Good Luck

• Hi happypixel, i am doing ok thank you, because it lays very close to your spinal chord and if your prostate was enlarged it  could press against it impacting motor function, usually in both legs,you should see a Dr and have it checked out to be safe. my prostate got up to 90mm and consultants "guess" is hormone/radiotherapy shrunk my prostate taking pressure of my spinal chord and it took 8 weeks to settle down. anyway take care and please see your doctor.

• Thanks. Yes, that’s my plan. Much appreciated.