PSA Results

• 6 replies
  • 112 subscribers

Hi all, 

I thought that I would check in again. My Dad is on Hormone Therapy with an injection once monthly and started Abiraterone Acetate in August.

His PSA has reduced from 3761 to 1.1. He had a Blood Test 2 weeks ago which showed his PSA is now 2.2. dad had another Blood Test today but I am worried due to the rise in PSA

does anyone know if it is normal for PSA to fluctuate? I am worried the cancer is spreading further

Thanks

Steph

• Hi Steph

I  don't have a great knowledge on HT but I believe that PSA can fluctuate when taking it.

Don't forget his PSA has come down a remarkable amount since starting the HT so wouldn't be too concerned at this point.

Hopefully a HT expert will pop up soon..

Best wishes 

Steve 

• Hi Steph, I'm not an expert but I am still on HT after finishing RT in March.

From what I've heard from others on here, PSA can fluctuate. Strenuous exercise or any other form of exertion before the blood test can give a slightly higher result.

A drop from 3761 to 2.2 is fantastic and shows that the HT is working. Don't forget, HT stops the production of testosterone which the cancer needs to grow and should stop further spread.

Best wishes

Peter 

• Thankyou very much Steve & Peter

I’m hoping that his PSA will have come down again but you have given me some hope

Steph

• Hello  

Welcome back and thank you very much for your update on you dad. That's amazing.  and  are both correct and there can be a "PSA bounce" but the reduction from 3761 to 2.2 is fantastic.

Keep us posted and my best wishes.

Brian.

Community Champion badge

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Strength, Courage, Faith, Hope, Defiance, VICTORY.

I am a Macmillan volunteer.

• Hi Brian, 

Thank you very much for replying, we’re delighted with the reduction. His PSA was 2.5 last week but I’m trying not to worry too much 

Thanks

Steph

• PSA is only a rough guide and can fluctuate , my opodi nurse said if you took 3 tests in one day they would all be different .

if i have a blood test after work it will be higher than if i went straight from home .

my psa was 54 but yet i'm incurable others had psa's in the hundreds but were curable !!

a ct scan is the best way for me to find out whats happening 

my oncologist said my psa scores were totally unreliable