Ok, so I'm now on the HT/RT pathway ...

• 90 replies
  • 117 subscribers

Hi all,

Firstly I'd like to thank all those who have tried to offer me advice and support on my PC journey thus far.

I was obviously in a mess (probably not helped by my neurodivergence) and whilst I'm not convinced I'm on the best path re survival, I think I'm on the the best path for me right here and right now and am feeling far happier now I'm doing something.

Some of that required me simply 'letting go', not trying to factor the unknowns or even some of the knowns. That in itself is difficult for me but the sand was running out and I wasn't the only one directly impacted by my situation. And I think that didn't help me, not only trying to make a decision that left me between a rock and a hard place but my rock, the person I would have previously relied on to offer me some logic and support (my wife, pre her dementia) was no longer there for me. Not only that, I have to keep trying to explain the situation to her, leaving me further frustrated that I can't offer her 'an answer'.

Yesterday I went and got my HT prescription, took the first tablet and now hope to be able to carry on with living with my wife and making the most of it whilst we can. ;-)

So can I apologise to anyone who felt I wasn't appreciative of their input because I promise you everything was thrown into the mix, gratefully taken and considered in the spirit it was given.

I feel much calmer now. xx

• that's great news  Able, now your pathway has started  and u have decided on RT everything should become easier for you.

so finally..... relax

Steve

• The nurse said to me" whatever way you choose is not wrong,just go with what you have decided.Dont look back.Onwards and upwards

• Thanks Steve ... and for ignoring my noise and sticking by me, it is appreciated.

I'm not sure I'll be able to fully relax till I see my PSA at the right levels for a year at least but yes,  that will be what it is, not something I have to make a decision on. ;-)

• Hi 10Up.

Yeah, along with all the advice given here as I was flip - flopping in different directions, the words of a few of the guys at the local PC group I attended the day before I was due for surgery sort of floated to the top of the mix.

Specifically there were that I was obviously not in the right head space to be making such a decision right then and that to try to ignore the noise (possible side effects, possible long term issues etc), concentrate on the key decisions and get something in play asap.

That 'letting go' of some of the info go isn't (wasn't) easy for me, just as it isn't with the idea of throwing something away (when there isn't somewhere called 'away' and I might need it tomorrow) but that's bearable if it can be recycled or given to the charity shop and / or replaced if needed in the future. ;-)

All of this is made easier when you realise you aren't immortal. ;-)

• Able - no apologies needed - you were in a tight spot and we tried to help - don't worry.

I am pleased you are now on the HT/RT journey - it's an "interesting" one but one that if you have the strength (as I am sure you have) to follow it through you will be fine.

Best wishes - Brian Thumbsup

Community Champion badge

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Strength, Courage, Faith, Hope, Defiance, VICTORY.

I am a Macmillan volunteer.

• Hi Brian,

I should be able to follow the HT/RT pathway, potentially made easier by the threat of surgery instead. ;-)

To those who have been through the RT, can you generally have your friend or partner / driver with you do you know? I mean, once I'm established by the RT team they would see the Mrs is still pretty self sufficient (assuming she still is by then etc)  and not likely to wander off or require any supervision etc and so being able to have her with me would make the whole process much easier (for both of us)?

• When you say with you.Do you mean in the same room whist having RT,or just take you and be with you till the RT starts. The Nurse told me,I,may be able to drive myself, especially in the early days,but depending on the side effects etc, time would tell.

• Hi Able, good that you have made a decision on your treatment.

When I was having my RT Mrs Outdoor Walker cwas allowed into a smaller waiting area, away from the main reception area, whilst I went in for my RT. That in itself only took 10 minutes each session and was just next door to the small waiting area.

Good luck with your journey and let s know how you get on.

Regards

Peter 

• or just take you and be with you till the RT starts.

Yeah, that bit, as many might be accompanied by a partner, friend or just driver etc?

Whilst she used to drive, she hasn't for a while before the formal dementia diagnosis and whilst I'm sure we will be able to sort something re looking after her while I have the treatment, I know she would rather be with me, even if just in a waiting room etc.

I also understand the nurses can't be responsible for people who can't be responsible for themselves (like kids etc).

As things stand, as long as she has somewhere to sit and knows I'll be back in a while, she's fine.

• When I was having my RT Mrs Outdoor Walker cwas allowed into a smaller waiting area, away from the main reception area, whilst I went in for my RT. That in itself only took 10 minutes each session and was just next door to the small waiting area.

Hi OW,

Yes, that's the thing I am talking about and strangely, more for her than me. We have always been a close team (33 years so far) and neither of us really need or want anyone else. That's not always possible of course, but if it is then we would prefer that over any alternatives.

Our daughter accompanied me on the UCH appointments because she was more familiar with the trains / tubes than me (I worked in London many years and don't generally care to go back), she could take notes and ask additional questions and we also took the opportunity to dine out and have some quality time etc. Whilst the Mrs can still get a wriggle on when pushing her wheelchair (like a 'walker'), and I can push her in it when she's tired or we want to keep up a faster pace, that's not so easy when going on / off public transport or escalators etc.

She prefers to be walking / wheeling with me round the local parks than sitting in the 'Dementia group' type meetings (as do I) and we can still do ~5 miles like that. ;-)