Trying not to panic

• 3 replies
  • 110 subscribers

My husband finished his RT at the beginning of March and is still on HT. His PSA in May was 0.026, then 0.036 in July and last week it was 0.064.  So all very low but in actual fact that is almost a tripling in 6 months. I read that a PSA bounce is common at about 6 months. I also read that if the PSA is lower than 1 at 6 months there is a greater hope for no recurrence. He is due a telephone consultation to discuss the results but I am wondering if others have had this PSA bounce? Am I worrying unnecessarily?

• Hi WW

I think you are to be honest - but I know where you are coning from.

My understanding is that after RT it takes time for everything to settle down and he will reach his "nadir reading" at 18 moths after completing RT. Once he has this reading everything is considered OK unless future readings increase by more than 2 whole points above the nadir reading.

I think I am right(if it's any consolation I completed my RT the first week of February 2023 and my PSA in mid August was 0.438 and no I am not worried). He will be fine.

Best wishes as always - Brian.

Community Champion badge

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Strength, Courage, Faith, Hope, Defiance, VICTORY.

I am a Macmillan volunteer.

• Thanks for the reassurance, Brian. I know, logically, that this makes complete sense but there is the fearful emotion of ‘what if?’  

• I know - since my diagnosis and almost not being here to tell the tale - I now don't worry about the next step in the journey - I know that there's someone out there looking after me.

I know that's just me - but I feel good about life and whatever the next step is.

He will be fine - and to be honest you are just like "Mrs Millibob" and where would we be without you????????.

You have his best interest at heart and no one can fault you.

Brian x

Community Champion badge

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Strength, Courage, Faith, Hope, Defiance, VICTORY.

I am a Macmillan volunteer.